Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,379   Online: 870

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BradleyK--you are a boorish snob. How'd that feel to be addressed in a vulgar manner? I think you missed a valuable moment to interact with someone who was obviously seeing you as an experienced photographer and was seeking advise. Given further discourse, possibly could have been swayed to the dark side, or at the very least gotten a lesson in composition. Now his feelings are hurt and he views you as an asshole.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Last edited by jnanian; 09-29-2013 at 07:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    +1 on the really out-of-line response. I've had to deal with all kinds of annoyance when out shooting, especially when hauling large format gear around. I've never had the need to be vulgar and rude. If someone's being a pest and asking too many questions and disrupting what I'm doing, I'll just turn back to what I'm doing and stop engaging them. If I had been as rude as you yesterday at the antique car show when someone asked me if my camera was a film camera, I'd have missed a very interesting conversation with a fellow photography buff and car enthusiast. Yes, when I get the question about "is that a film camera?" or something related, my hackles go up and I get ready for some more stupid questions, but 99% of the time the questions are of genuine interest and curiosity, and are over-and-done-with very quickly. Also, why did you feel the need to be so rude about the folks looking for your tripod holes? Even if they tried to copy your composition, the light has changed, and it's no longer the light you were interested in. The only time I'd find it necessary to get that kind of rude would be if they started getting IN my composition AND wouldn't get out of the way when asked.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    SNIP SNIP

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    "a film camera, you f*****g cretin," and that I was "technically competent enough with my equipment and skilled enough as a photographer that I did not an LCD at any rate!"
    "just for s***s and giggles, try to be original." Again, I had that nagging feeling that I had over-reacted, tinged with the anger that some folks couldn't be original if they tried.

Thoughts? Comments? Anybody here have similar occasions when out shooting? Are these just the latest manifestations of some latent misanthropic tendencies I have?
    i find it kind of strange
    that you don't know if you over reacted ?

calling someone a "f*****g cretin" and then telling folks who were trying
    to figure out what you were photographing "just for s***s and giggles, try to be original."

i think you need some lessons in tact ?
    Last edited by jnanian; 09-29-2013 at 07:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I understand for I have little tolerance for intrusive people myself. Fortunately my size and demeanor scare most away. I don't have to say anything,a look is effective most times. I too have misanthropic tendencies. F**king cretin? Damn.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I once had an entire family walk around me and stand directly in front of my lens, all the while chatting about "the guy with the old fashioned camera" and never thinking for a moment that I might be serious about taking a photograph. When anyone takes interest I am thrilled. I don't like to be interrupted too much so generally answer their question briefly and then tell them that I really need to concentrate to keep from making mistakes. People always seem to respond properly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I think you overreacted, and missed an opportunity to let a few people know film is alive, and there's a reason we choose it.
    +a lot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    I find that a few minutes out of my busy schedule of shooting really does not make ANY difference. Not that you would have to explain the whole process of developing and printing the film of the shot to them but a bit of courtesy goes a long way in the world. Yes you over reacted for a simple explanation. I do not know you personally but from reading your posts you seem like a nice gentleman so the swearing sounds like you were just having a bad day. As for the sunrise @ Lake Louise it has been done by many many people in the past so what you were doing was just an interest not a competition issue. BTW The best shots I have found were the sunsets looking out across the lake. Hope you had good light the whole trip.
    I think, in retrospect "DWC," two separate "precursors" if you will, set me off (I am, by nature, tolerant and engaging, and, in the words of my eldest nephew " pedantically passionate" about sharing the joys of film photography). Firstly, this trip - 2500+km in two days - was a bit much to be restful (and yes I was jacked on coffee ((Two pots of Starbucks Guatemalan for breakfast and several Monsters as chasers))); and secondly, the "intrusions" if you will are just the latest in a long line I have dealt with this year (to wit: Polar bear Dip in Victoria (two women constantly following me around and shooting either beside me or over my shoulder; Victoria Highland Games in May (people following me and shooting beside me wherever I wandered; Calgary Stampede in July (setting up a "portrait studio" on the side of the stage, I had a woman wait until I had everything set up (about 12 different performers) and then shoot over my shoulder...and then smirking when I cut her with a look that would kill; and, most recently at the Jasper Rodeo in July, where suddenly the vantage point I had chosen - away from the other photogs there - seemed to collect a large contingent of the digital p&s (flash always on) crowd as the event unfolded.

BTW: This additional info was not intended as an apologia of sorts, but rather to make clear to some of the responses posted thus far that I am NOT by nature "a dick" "Boorish, etc." What transpired was a long time coming, and yes I do regret being uncivil....
    An assortment of F-series Nikons with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would say you were over reacting in both ocassion.
    Incident 1: I would simply tell the person that " No, because it's a film camera there is simply no advantage having an LCD". I would reply more if the person would ask more. I would rather want to make friend to the person.
    Incident 2: I would not do anything and feel good that someone was trying to copy my shot. Nevertherless I don't think anyone can copy my shot even if I tried to explain to them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hang a sign on your back: "DO NOT DISTURB. I GET NASTY."

That should keep 'em away.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin