Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,150   Online: 1113

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know! You're anoyyed that someone took a shot of your setup in public place. I thought part of the photographer's right is freedom to shoot anything on public place.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must admit that I too would find it indescent if some uses a set-up I would have staged in public to use for their own by mimicking my point of view. Though I had no problem myself photographing such stage in a way that it is clear that it is a stage by someone else and I rather showing that being-photographed situation than mimicking the portrait as intended.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BradleyK, it does sound as if you are better off, as am I, doing our serious photography "off the beaten track."

There are those who, though they do get along well with others, prefer to be alone and will actually seek out solitude.

There are others who hate to be alone and will go to great lengths to be in social situations.

Neither group really understands the other.

The social ones will be appalled and will recommend that you need to spend lots of time talking to others about what you are doing. To them you missed out on a great chance to proselytize in the cause of film.

The solitude lovers may not say so but they are nodding their heads in private because they recognize your frustration and actually applaud your desire to be left alone.

But, since cursing others out is really not a good solution, you should probably use a less confrontational response when this happens again.

Good luck in your search for places that are "off the beaten track."
    Last edited by Pioneer; 09-29-2013 at 04:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Others will obviously disagree, but i think this is hilarious. 'cretin' really? haha, but then again i myself can be an a**hole.

On the other hand, if it bothers you, then yeah, you probably over did it. none of us were there, but if someone got that close to my equipment, i would be kinda worried myself actually. Also, i don't know who is supposed to say hi to the other party, whoever was there first, or those who came afterwards... while other cultures seem less adept at personal space, i myself make sure to keep far enough from people so as not to intrude into theirs.

while the op didn't mention attempting to speak to the other parties, it seems that the other parties where more critical, than inquisitive, not my type of person to speak with either, so while i might say you over reacted, i don't blame you for reacting as you did.

Also i'd be so pissed off if someone tried to put their camera in the EXACT same spot i did, how annoying is that! but whatever.if anything the OP should have marked his territory .
    Anyway, as others have mentioned maybe saying hi, and telling others that you take your photography AND PERSONAL SPACE seriously, will give you the space you need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You were an asshole in both cases. They didn't do anything to prevent you from doing your work, as far as I can tell from the story. What does it hurt you to have somebody take a photograph like you did after you have left the scene? You are probably a better photographer than they, anyway. You don't own the land under your tripod. Lighten up.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    ...yes I do regret being uncivil....
    Live and learn Took some real courage to discuss this matter and by the statement above, I'm sure next time around you'll react different. I commend you for asking us to check your back. By the very fact that you even posted this for peer-review means you mean well, if you didn't you'd never have taken the time for a "check my back post".

Last, the below is one that keeps my head up after a bad decision/reaction (or two )
    “Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” ― Maya Angelou
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You sound delusional to me. Seek help before you hurt yourself or others. Unless you own the land and they were trespassing on land that you own, you showed a total lack of manners or respect for others. Like some crazy driver thinking that some one did something deliberate to you rather than perhaps and error in their judgment. JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would add that those people have every right to stand behind you as you have to stand in front of them. You are too full of yourself. Get over yourself. You are nobody. We are all nobody. That realization is a better way to live than what you are doing.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I would add that those people have every right to stand behind you as you have to stand in front of them. You are too full of yourself. Get over yourself. You are nobody. We are all nobody. That realization is a better way to live than what you are doing.
    IMHO This is a bit over the top in the other direction. I am indeed somebody and don't mind asserting myself when necessary. With that philosophy you would not have lasted long where I grew up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The first incident, yeah...not good, it actually made me quite sad to read it.
    I only run into this kind of thing if I am in a popular spot like over the weekend at the Maroon Bells. I had some 8x10 silver prints in my film holder case in order to share why I am shooting film.

But the second one, I'm behind you 100% because I make my living at this, I never let anyone copy my shot, ever and I am REALLY quite bothered by some of the rude responses you have gotten here. Yes, I will sound off by asking them to please not copy my vision if it clearly looks like that is what they are about to do, but I usually employ more clever tactics before it ever comes to that.

If it is a scene that is not using complex layers of cool secondary or primary subject matter and perhaps only has interesting light, I will wait it out until the light is gone effectively preventing the invader from ever copying it. I routinely make a note of what azimuth number my camera is pointing on the tripod and point at a decoy shot until the potential copycats are gone. Most of the time, I can fake out the perp by doing something to distract them, I had to really start doing this about 10 years ago due to the digital and Internet age.

There is NO reason to copy someone else's photo, period! I find it to be rude as hell and truly disgusting behavior and I will stop at nothing to get in the way of who would think to do it. Public place or not my vision is my vision and my livelyhood depends on it. Thankfully it almost never comes to verbal engagement since I have developed lots of strategies to prevent it.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 09-30-2013 at 02:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin