Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,160   Online: 742

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes you did overreact, but I can totally understand why you were p!@#%* off. Maybe next time just bore them into oblivion with pixels or something ?..... Or just work on looking meaner!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    or work on being more polite, amenable, patient, humble, thoughtful, generous, open-minded ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "I don't crop" as a photographic dogma is almost as offensive to me. That statement seems equally instructive about your personality in addition to the confession of foul and demeaning language to a curious stranger.

I have to admit though, it is a beautiful part of the world which I saw for the first time last year. Part of the trip was on a bus with a bunch of boorish, racist, ignorant, cashed-up bogan Australians. I doubt you would have lasted 30 minutes before lashing out and shouting "fucking moron" at some of them. I thought it many times but had the good grace to keep the peace and not say it to their face. Yes, I know I'm a snob, but I try my best not to let it show :-)
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Really? All the Australians I've met have been laid back genuine nice people. And that's more than a few. Right now I'm actually considering taking a position and moving to Tasmania.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't been that lucky.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Get yourself a view camera and when the "cretins" come, hide under the dark cloth. That's what I do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    ...and I am REALLY quite bothered by some of the rude responses you have gotten here.
    Very good point. I notice some responses that feel he was overly rude seem quite rude themselves. If we feel he could have handled it in a less "rude" manner, we could also be less rude in telling him.
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Agree^

The irony here is palpable. We could make our own Iron Blue Toner with this thread's irony
    Last edited by zsas; 09-30-2013 at 12:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Type-O
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah hell, we all over-react now and again. At least next time you'll be better prepared with how to respond. And it WILL happen again! Forget about it and move on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    Very good point. I notice some responses that feel he was overly rude seem quite rude themselves. If we feel he could have handled it in a less "rude" manner, we could also be less rude in telling him.
    Unlike many of my fellow carbon-based bipeds, I am not thin-skinned: I never take insults to heart. Having realized I overstepped the bounds of propriety (the tirade, as I stated in a follow-up post, was a long time coming, the end result of a host of like-experiences which occurred in fairly quick succession, over a relatively short period of time), I will, in the future, adhere to the sage advice of DanB: occupy your space until the light or composition changes. As I also noted in my follow-up post, it is more my nature to engage folks on the virtues of photography and, especially, the medium of film. To that end, I have photographed for others - using a greater variety of cameras than most of the folks who post here have ever seen - in cities all over: tourists in the French Quarter, Down-town Atlanta, Portland, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Victoria, BC and Alberta's National Parks, Calgary. It is not my nature to be surly; judging by the number of times I have provided free photographic services to others, folks generally seen to view me as approachable.

That said, one thing about the incidents I have mentioned still resonates: when someone is working, I simply do not see it as acceptable to disturb them (unless, of course, a large bear, bull elk, or similar creature is on a collision course with said individual). When I see someone with a camera on a tripod, my operative assumption is that that person is either a serious amateur or a professional. As such, I will not engage said individual until he, or she, seems to be finished whatever he, or she, happened to have been shooting. My "intrusion" does not extend beyond a quick smile or nod until such time. To repeatedly rush up to someone - without an express invite - to attempt to see what they are doing is, at best, simple rudeness; and to attempt to replicate the work of another is dishonest and betrays a lack of one's own imagination and initiative. When the frontage viewing area is in excess of 300m in length, and there are only a dozen folks the entire length, is it really necessary to park right beside someone?

Concluding, the one remark here that really did piss me off was the one about the fact that I don't crop. You, Sir, are confusing a statement of personal preference/practice with what you seem to choose to interpret as dogma. I don't crop my 35mm work because I absolutely love the dynamism of the 24x36 format; I always have. The fact that I don't crop when shooting this format also ensures a measure of self discipline. Insofar as the square format goes, I simply prefer the challenge of filling a square. To those who crop, crop away! Do what works for you!
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin