Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,418   Online: 1032

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCrabtree View Post
    Really? All the Australians I've met have been laid back genuine nice people. And that's more than a few. Right now I'm actually considering taking a position and moving to Tasmania.
    We used to criticise the "ugly American" tourists but we have some pretty ugly cases of our own I'm afraid to say. Our exchange rate has been overvalued for many years allowing lots more Aussies to travel (further than Bali). A friend just got back from Spain saying all he seemed to meet were other cashed-up Aussies drinking too much and talking too loudly!

Tasmania could do with a bit more class, so come on down Martin!

And yes, my response was ironic or perhaps sardonic. I have unloaded with some foul language against officious security guards on a few occasions much to my later regret. Regardless of the job or the power of the uniform, I should have been more polite. By making his post I think Bradley probably agrees.
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    Concluding, the one remark here that really did piss me off was the one about the fact that I don't crop. You, Sir, are confusing a statement of personal preference/practice with what you seem to choose to interpret as dogma. I don't crop my 35mm work because I absolutely love the dynamism of the 24x36 format; I always have.
    Sorry mate, that was me. My tongue-in-cheek response was intended to point out that we all think (and occasionally say) offensive things and have our own intolerances and snobbishness about other people and practices. I really don't think the non-croppers and rebate revealers are offensive and there are plenty of other posts on APUG where this has been batted back and forth. I won't repeat my views here other than to say I don't understand why "the picture" must always be forced into an arbitrary aspect ratio?
    By all means we should take our photography seriously(even very seriously) but not ourselves too seriously!

Cheers
    Tony
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unlike many of my fellow carbon-based bipeds, I am not thin-skinned: I never take insults to heart.
    That is good, but still, if I think you were wrong in _how_ you did something, I should not state so in the same manner that I thought was wrong of you (unless I'm specifically trying to start something ).
    Truzi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    (and yes I was jacked on coffee ((Two pots of Starbucks Guatemalan for breakfast and several Monsters as chasers)))
    If you consume that amount on a regular basis, I'm more concerned for your physical well-being than I am about your overreaction (though it was massive).

I would never react that way because I'd rather not run the risk of being physically assaulted and/or shot.

Shooter
    Large Format
    that coffee has very little caffeine in it. ....

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    I would never react that way because I'd rather not run the risk of being physically assaulted and/or shot.
    He was in Canada. Assault might have happened, but hand guns are not fashion accessories here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    He was in Canada. Assault might have happened, but hand guns are not fashion accessories here.
    Well he was in Alberta, so a shotgun is always a possibility
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    I find that a few minutes out of my busy schedule of shooting really does not make ANY difference.
    I missed a shot once by taking the time to talk to someone. At Mission San Juan Bautista, a group of tourists called up to me to say they had found a lenscap and wondered if I lost one. I stepped down from the rise and helped best I could. No, it wasn't mine, but there was another photographer there (I saw him earlier working a 4x5 where I asked him if he could still get film for that.) I directed them back to where I had last seen him. Later I found him shooting a Rollei and we talked... He actually HAD lost a lenscap to an LF lens, but by then the guy who had it was nowhere to be found. For all the helping and talking, I never went back to the scene of the animal drama I was considering... I believe a large cat had found its dinner of a very large bird. I wanted to shoot the bird's feet and feathers with a mission in the background.

I still don't have anything like that in my portfolio.

Sometimes it DOES make a difference if you stop to talk to strangers.

I lost a shot.

But I was friendly to the strangers and the photographer... I hope I never get so aggravated at stranger's behavior that I lash out. But I understand your space was invaded. You were brave to reflect on your behavior here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Well he was in Alberta, so a shotgun is always a possibility
    Actually, Matt, over there in "Yahoo Country," large pick-up tricks, assorted tools and agricultural implements, are more of a concern...
    Last edited by BradleyK; 10-01-2013 at 11:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    that coffee has very little caffeine in it. ....
    Perhaps not in a single cup, but after 8 large mugs (12 oz?size) the effect is very definitely in evidence...
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin