Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,388   Online: 1021

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    You sound delusional to me. Seek help before you hurt yourself or others. Unless you own the land and they were trespassing on land that you own, you showed a total lack of manners or respect for others. Like some crazy driver thinking that some one did something deliberate to you rather than perhaps and error in their judgment. JMHO
    Agree.

The reiteration of "while I was working", in particular, sound very Jack Nicholson to me.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    35mm
    I think you overreacted. I wouldn't feel bad if someone wanted to see what I was doing, as long as they didn't keep me from doing it. Some of us aren't gifted artists, and a view through someone else's viewfinder can help us learn.

Granted, there's getting so close you're invading someone else's personal space, but that aside, did you really need to be so abrasive? I'm pretty sure you didn't improve those people's image of film photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    I'd like to share a couple of incidents that happened to me last weekend during a very quick trip down the Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Banff National Parks, essentially to gauge whether my response to either was a,ppropriate, reasonable given the circumstances, or out of proportion to the matters at hand...
    Merely by framing these questions you seem to be willing and able to be self-critical, and even more, willing to listen to some pretty strong opprobrium. That's not easy to do in 'public'. So, while I don't admire your behavior in the incidents you described, I do admire your sense of conscience and personal responsibility. I also think that the next time you will wait an extra beat or two til the urge to verbally clobber someone dies down a bit. Good onya for sharing this.

For your penance, say 12 Hail Marys, and 10 Our Fathers....hehehe....!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I often find people annoying. Reacting the way you did was probably not how most people would actually say, but they'd have thought it in their heads for sure! So all you are is guilty of not repressing a good opportunity to vent. No problem here.
    What those other people would have done is be polite to the interlopers, then rant at everyone else they knew; thus being rude to their friends and nice to jerks. I would rather you rant at the offending people and be calm and reasonable here personally.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I am surprised this thread has run on to 7 pages. You didn't need to ask this question, as you already know you made a mistake and over reacted.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dunetraveller View Post
    I often find people annoying.
    That's the price of being in public.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or perhaps the price of being human. And those other people who are so annoying are human too ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All I can say is that often I go shooting with friends. Even though we photograph exactly the same things, sometimes from very similar positions and locations, we end up with completely different looking prints.

My response would be to feel sorry for them that they don't have more imagination than that. Have to follow your heart, instinct, intuition, and emotions.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=MartinCrabtree;1552640]Really? All the Australians I've met have been laid back genuine nice people.

Another vote here for the Aussies: In 30-odd years of travel all over North America, I would rate the Aussies along with the Kiwis, Americans, Germans and Brits among the friendliest and best-behaved of the Touristas. An aside (photographically-speaking): Of these groups, Americans, Germans and the British have always seemed most interested in chatting about photography (film type, color or black and white, which camera, lenses, etc.); the Japanese and now the Mainland Chinese (based on my trips through the Canadian Rockies), just seem interested in checking out the camera you use (I get frequent looks when I have one of my F2s out (these folks check to see which model, look at the motor drive, check out the film holder etc., but never stop to chat photographic!).
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow! Seven pages! This topic certainly struck a nerve with a lot of people.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin