Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,127   Online: 973

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    [QUOTE=BradleyK;1553787]
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCrabtree View Post
    Really? All the Australians I've met have been laid back genuine nice people.

Another vote here for the Aussies: In 30-odd years of travel all over North America, I would rate the Aussies along with the Kiwis, Americans, Germans and Brits among the friendliest and best-behaved of the Touristas. An aside (photographically-speaking): Of these groups, Americans, Germans and the British have always seemed most interested in chatting about photography (film type, color or black and white, which camera, lenses, etc.); the Japanese and now the Mainland Chinese (based on my trips through the Canadian Rockies), just seem interested in checking out the camera you use (I get frequent looks when I have one of my F2s out (these folks check to see which model, look at the motor drive, check out the film holder etc., but never stop to chat photographic!).
    Some of that is from a lack of common language skill I suspect. Although English is taught in Asian countries, it is still a distant second language, and unlike German, which has common linguistic roots with English, Japanese and Chinese have virtually nothing in common with any Western languages. The learning curve, therefore, is steeper, in either direction. I suspect you could have a long conversation about your more than just the camera itself if you responded to their inquiry in Chinese or Japanese.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If they were members of the US Congress, you should have started the sentence that way.
    I wish that I knew what I know now when I was younger. ("Oohlala, by the Small Faces").

I plan to make up for it by the time I''m 84 ...

Bob Slaughter (megzdad81)

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I've been out with my mamiya c330, every other person I've met seems to have owned one! But no ITAH as yet for me....[sobs quietly]
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Meanwhile I would be happier than a pig in s*** if someone came up to me asking about my camera :P

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    A couple years ago I made my usual midsummer tuneup hike up a particular steep goat path above Sonora Pass in the high Sierra, and propped up my
    8x10 and Ries wooden tripod for a nice shot of a particular crag. The location is a bit of a grunt, maybe a 2000 ft grade to around 10,000 feet. But otherwise it's only a couple of miles, and one can actually see the road from there, way down there. Then a German tourist managed to literally stumble
    his way up there. "Vere ish de lake? Vere ish de lake", as he tripped over one rock after another, then a log. The lake was right in front of him, but he couldn't see it because he was staring at his GPS the whole time. Then he spots me. "How dare you dessekrate nature wish dat big thing!" he angrily protested. I merely smiled and politely replied, "Nice GPS. Is that the model John Muir used?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=TheFlyingCamera;1553835]
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post

Some of that is from a lack of common language skill I suspect. Although English is taught in Asian countries, it is still a distant second language, and unlike German, which has common linguistic roots with English, Japanese and Chinese have virtually nothing in common with any Western languages. The learning curve, therefore, is steeper, in either direction. I suspect you could have a long conversation about your more than just the camera itself if you responded to their inquiry in Chinese or Japanese.
    Actually, I think the reaction is related - at least in part - to that fact that I am still shooting with a "relic." Given the preponderance of d*****l cameras these days, especially, it seems, amongst Asian tourists (who always seem to be early adopters of new technology - given the cutting-edge electronics industry centered in SE Asia), I must strike some of these folks as something of an oddity (read: Luddite LOL).
    An assortment of F-series Nikons with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Just depends. I've actually been complimented on numerous instances by Chinese, Indian, and Pakistani tourists for still using a "real" camera
    (generally either an 8x10 or 4x5). It's more the young herd-mentality tour group types who scratch their heads. Around here specifically, where it's the very heart of techie land, it's rather common to encounter digi and biotech engineers on the trails, who seem very interested in getting into film photography. Guess they want some "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" relief from their pixelated day jobs. I can sure relate to that. But unfortunately, what might seem to be a substantial paycheck in Silicon Valley doesn't necessarily translate into an extra room to convert into darkroom space, given the horrendous price of real estate around here. Glad I bought my digs several decades ago!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Vorsprung durch technik schweinhund

Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    A couple years ago I made my usual midsummer tuneup hike up a particular steep goat path above Sonora Pass in the high Sierra, and propped up my
    8x10 and Ries wooden tripod for a nice shot of a particular crag. The location is a bit of a grunt, maybe a 2000 ft grade to around 10,000 feet. But otherwise it's only a couple of miles, and one can actually see the road from there, way down there. Then a German tourist managed to literally stumble
    his way up there. "Vere ish de lake? Vere ish de lake", as he tripped over one rock after another, then a log. The lake was right in front of him, but he couldn't see it because he was staring at his GPS the whole time. Then he spots me. "How dare you dessekrate nature wish dat big thing!" he angrily protested. I merely smiled and politely replied, "Nice GPS. Is that the model John Muir used?"
    Hope he wasn't using a satnav either..
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You certainly have the right to say, "Excuse me, I'm working." If they are messing with your stuff, "Hey! Don't touch!" could be appropriate but, unless the other person is being an extreme pest or acting dangerously, cussing is not appropriate.

I generally like talking to other people while I am photographing but there are times when I am trying to get an important shot or when I am trying to concentrate on something when I don't want to be bothered. I haven't got a problem telling people so but I usually make an effort top go back and talk to the people afterward.

As to location, others have said the same things am thinking. Anybody has the right to shoot any photograph they want in a public place and you can't stop them. Most of the time, I don't worry about copycats. Ten different people could photograph the exact same scene from the exact location and come up with ten different photographs.

I have had a couple of occasions when I was pestered by idiot, copycats with iPhones and digicams. I took the opposites tack.
    "Make sure you get that tree in the composition... Watch your exposure... Make sure you get that detail in the shadow but don't burn out the highlights..."

Most people get confused, fed up and just walk away.

It isn't cool to be rude but nobody said you can't be a stinker once in awhile!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Hi there! Can I interest you in APUG?"

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin