Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,643   Online: 788

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKrull View Post
    So my question to you is: When you look at the photos of the younger generation: are you looking at their art, or their journals?
    I snipped most of this post, but as a generationally older fart (I'm 44) I think it was all spot on.

But it also seems like there's quite a bit of "bleed" between the art and journal worlds for many younger photographers. Partly this is because attractive young women get ludicrous amounts of positive(?) feedback for posting semi-artistic selfies[1], partly it's because young people's art seems invariably to be more self-involved than it will be later in life (and the internet reduces the barriers to seeing that; I bet there's a lot of self-indulgent work in the juvenilia of respected older photographers too).

And maybe part of it is a legitimate reaction against artistic boundaries, a kind of Duchamp-esque poke in the eye at the photographic establishment. Which is all to the good if you ask me (and why wouldn't you? :-) ).

-NT

[1] I follow someone on Flickr who I think is a rather talented photographer with a good eye. She posts a really nice photo of an urban landscape or the light from her window or whatever, and the world goes "meh". She posts a mirror selfie in black and white with a bra strap showing, and the world falls all over itself to tell her how wonderful her art is. What do you suppose she's going to be led to concentrate on? I think that effect is rather tragic, but I suppose I'm not her and I'm not entitled to tell her what she wants to achieve with a camera, right? Sigh.
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    there have been millions of "selfies" made since the dawn of time, i don't think that
    has anything to do with narcissism or egomania. i think the "i know everything" attitude
    that people may have, so they don't learn anything bout the history of the/their medium of choice
    may be problematic though. he's got no future and no past ( as nina hagen would sing ) ...
    and a selfie from some self absorbed navelgazer will always be just that, nothing more, nothing less ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Part of the deal with selfies is that if you can double as a model, it's quite convenient, especially if you're shy.

I don't double as a model. I use family members for models and bribe them with ice cream.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    Make photos because it's something you enjoy doing, even if nobody else likes your work. You've created something.
    To make photos because you enjoy it, in the first instance, is a given - we don't do things because we don't enjoy them. And I completely understand and respect the creativity as self-help thing, when it's needed (everyone in the States has a therapist, I know), but creativity as meaningful communication with others - isn't this historically more valuable? After all, the reason you probably started photography was because the work of others spoke to you. Why not at least try to pass the torch?

Quote Originally Posted by MattKrull View Post
    So my question to you is: When you look at the photos of the younger generation: are you looking at their art, or their journals?
    Agree with much of your post, but this especially, which is what I was saying in my first post. While I agree that we're reaching critical mass with the amount of outlets we now have for narcissism, I'm sure many people making the photographic narcissism claims are simply looking at the visual scrap books of teenagers a little too much.
    Last edited by batwister; 10-10-2013 at 01:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You need some kind of combination of one or the other. Making money is about business sense. You might be a horrible photographer but a
    hardworking con man and succeed. Or you might be a brilliant photographer, plugging along, and just get lucky (not statistically likely, but it
    sometimes happens). Or like me, you apply your business skill to something else entirely and then do whatever you enjoy in the darkroom, and from time to time let a little luck trickle in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    SNIP

Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    To make photos because you enjoy it, in the first instance, is a given - we don't do things because we don't enjoy them.
    some people do things they dislike.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    [1] I follow someone on Flickr who I think is a rather talented photographer with a good eye. She posts a really nice photo of an urban landscape or the light from her window or whatever, and the world goes "meh". She posts a mirror selfie in black and white with a bra strap showing, and the world falls all over itself to tell her how wonderful her art is. What do you suppose she's going to be led to concentrate on? I think that effect is rather tragic, but I suppose I'm not her and I'm not entitled to tell her what she wants to achieve with a camera, right? Sigh.
    This, I think, has far less to do with aspirations of art and far more to do with the viewer's inherent difficulties with trying to ignore the last five million years of evolution. The phenomenon is not limited to young people, or to Flickr, or even to online in general. All one needs to do to see that is take another look at the submissions to the APUG galleries.

You know all of those forum polls we have that ask about member's age and gender distributions? They're really not necessary. All that's needed is a quick look at the subjects and corresponding view counts in the our own galleries to definitively answer those two questions as 50s and M, with the side benefit of a probable psychological diagnosis of Lonely...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    SNIP

some people do things they dislike.
    ... and some people dislike things they do; while others dislike things some people do. It takes all kinds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ... and some people dislike things they do; while others dislike things some people do. It takes all kinds.
    exactly !
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    You know all of those forum polls we have that ask about member's age and gender distributions? They're really not necessary. All that's needed is a quick look at the subjects and corresponding view counts in the our own galleries to definitively answer those two questions as 50s and M...
    Are you referring to the nudes?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin