Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,924   Posts: 1,522,112   Online: 749

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    I look at some photo type websites, and nearly every posting has a string of links leading to the "photographer's" own work/website. Hey, it's just a thread on an online forum, not your personal advertisement.
    When it comes to forum responses, I find the ability to see the responders work as quite valuable. If I can see your work, I have a context for assessing your posts. On this site, there are a handful of people to whom I always pay attention. It's because I've seen their work, and respect it. I'm more prone to accept the words of those who I know have done something, rather than those who may have read or heard about something. I also hold those with the confidence to display their work in higher regard than those that don't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's more photography today than ever before, simply because it is so accessible.

In an environment where people grow up around a certain quality of photographs, perhaps iPhone snapshots is the accepted 'standard' going forward? I say get used to it.

The good thing is that those who really care can see right away whether somebody does good photography or not. And as far as the 'creme de la creme' photographs - the cream tends to always float to the top, regardless of how much noise there is underneath.

It's best maybe to relax, do your best to improve your own photography, and show with your work what you can do. Arguing about what others do usually doesn't amount to anything productive.

To round my reply off, I will also add that I have seen a surprising amount of good work from people who use camera phones.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Am I suffering from old dufferism?
    Yes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Self promotion is a key aspect of business in the Internet age. You get a website. You post links to it wherever possible and it helps you with getting better search engine results. Yellow pages and hanging up a shingle are the old duffer way. Promotion and business are mostly unrelated to quality or style of photography; once in a while those things collide and something great shows for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thinking about this I'll bet chefs and serious professional cooks think the same thing these days.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Thinking about this I'll bet chefs and serious professional cooks think the same thing these days.
    They are worse in many respects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    ... a day including Cindy Crawford, Linda Evangelista, Christi Turlington, Claudia Schiffer, and Naomi Watts.
    Naomi Campbell
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One might argue that in an age where people are famous for simply being famous, a good photographer shooting them might be the more enduring icon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe it's these new electronic wonder digital cameras that do everything for people except put the print on the wall? I mean, every soccer mom w/ a DSLR and a big lens is a pro wedding photographer now, right?
    You're being sarcastic, right?

There's more photography today than ever before, simply because it is so accessible.
    Quantity but not quality.

The vast majority of the populace do not have the imagination or vision needed to take a good photograph.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    Naomi Campbell
    Right thanks. I changed it.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin