Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,734   Online: 1089

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    You're being sarcastic, right?
    Quantity but not quality.
    The vast majority of the populace do not have the imagination or vision needed to take a good photograph.
    geez. nothing narcissistic or egomaniacal about that statement.
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    geez. nothing narcissistic or egomaniacal about that statement.
    Sometimes the truth hurts. There is nothing narcissistic or egomaniacal in stating it. The world is not filled with undiscovered Adams or Westons or Cartier-Bressons.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The vast majority of the populace do not have the imagination or vision needed to take a good photograph.
    I really want to agree with this but can't. Everywhere I look now, it seems to me that photography is now reaching its potential as the truly democratic artistic medium. I get it that it pisses "real" photographers off that almost anyone can make a good photograph these days. But let's embrace it. It has never been a better time to be a photographer, I think.
    Last edited by Shawn Rahman; 10-01-2013 at 02:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are lots of interesting photographers beavering away out there though, but all too often, it's the people who make the most noise who get the rewards.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes the truth hurts. There is nothing narcissistic or egomaniacal in stating it. The world is not filled with undiscovered Adams or Westons or Cartier-Bressons.
    Actually it is, there are better ones even. They are just drowning in the flood of good and bad photographers spamming the Internet.
    Adams and Bresson would never have been discovered today, not a chance.

Now that is a truth that really hurts, doesn't it?
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    Maybe it's these new electronic wonder digital cameras that do everything for people except put the print on the wall? I mean, every soccer mom w/ a DSLR and a big lens is a pro wedding photographer now, right?
    This is where you lost me. But the short answer to the OP, which I'm sure everyone would agree on is - celebrity culture. So about the time pop art, and in turn, modern art photography really took off. The 70s.

Photography has always been inextricably linked to fashion, modelling and as a result, consumerism and our obsession with appearances - which really started stifling popular culture, again, in the 70s and 80s. On the flip side, photography in its nature is and always has been the best tool for questioning our perception of reality. If you spend some time looking at (what I can only call 'real') work made in the last 10 years, you'll see some of the most probing, challenging and inspiring social documentary work the medium has ever produced.

Here's the root of the problem here as I see it. People who work within the 'nu-classical' traditional black and white photography movement have a hard time digesting modern critical work, so only ever see the populist rubbish (ala Flickr), get swamped by it, develop opinions about modern photography based on it, and as a result retreat further back into to the classical photography ideologies of years gone by. I think this is where the viewpoint of this thread comes from. Interesting that some people here look at a lot of great early work by accomplished photographers, but only seem to look at bad modern work by amateurs...

'Amateur' photographers (by that I don't mean non-professional, but naive) have always tended to attribute creativity with navel gazing. Everyone does it when they start out with artistic intentions, in any medium. There's that line in Lost In Translation when she says something about taking "stupid photographs of my feet". The solution here might be to stop looking at photography made by teenagers!

Agree with the posts about self-promotion as a necessity today, but the ostentatious teething stages of this will eventually wane.
    Last edited by batwister; 10-01-2013 at 04:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    But have you noticed how a photographer's ego has no relation to their talent?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    OP

i think it is the human condition to want others to see what one has done.
    not sure it is narcissism ..

seeing someone's photography, seeing a link to their website
    or blog or whatever makes it easier to understand where they are
    coming from.

its easier to understand stuff when you see stuff .
    and it is easier to believe stuff that people say when
    you see stuff they do ...

if i am a narcissistic egomaniac photographer for posting my work to the
    apug gallery, or having a website, or a place selling my work ...
    having links in my signature, trying to scrape a living by through making photographs

i am sure there are worse things to be.
    Last edited by jnanian; 10-01-2013 at 09:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not to start a trend of naming names, but who exactly are we talking about? Can someone give me an example (really not trying to pick on anyone in particular, but not quite sure I understand what we are talking about when we are discussing exercise of ego)?
    "Once the amateur's naive approach and humble willingness to learn fades away, the creative spirit of good photography dies with it. Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    But have you noticed how a photographer's ego has no relation to their talent?
    Very true.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin