Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,518   Online: 1034

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is more photography happening now then there used to be, but there has been a lot of photography happening for quite a long time.

The difference is that it is far easier to share one's photography with many other people. And narcissistic, egotistical people insist on sharing.

In olden times, in order to share your work you either needed work which was of a calibre that would impress people who had control over the means of distribution (book publishers, magazine publishers, newspaper publishers, gallery owners) or you needed to have enough money to buy that sort of distribution.

Nowadays, access to the internet gives you the ability to distribute - you just need to make sure you get noticed.

And narcissistic, egotistical people are great at getting noticed.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    But have you noticed how a photographer's ego has no relation to their talent?
    Have you noticed that those most critical of other photographers, images, and techniques, are the least likely to share their work? I find this phenomenon far more disturbing than an artist having an ego, and taking pride in their work.
    (Not directed at you, Clive. You share, and I'm a fan... )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Where have you noticed that? APUG? Everywhere?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't speak to "everywhere", but I've seen it at gallery openings, other websites, and APUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess unless the person is a non-practitioner professional critic (in which case that is the job), I'd have to agree it seems a little strange to slam somebody's images if you have zero to show for yourself.

But I don't really get OP's point. It's just the way it is. Marketing is everything. "Personal branding", etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael- It's not just slamming the work which bothers me. It's those that present themselves as "experts", yet are unwilling to display their "expertise". If someone wants me to accept their competence, show me. Without visual proof, they come across as academics, rather than image makers. Just a pet peeve of mine...

I don't get the OP's point either. Is anyone surprised creatives have egos? They always have, and always will.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Michael- It's not just slamming the work which bothers me. It's those that present themselves as "experts", yet are unwilling to display their "expertise". If someone wants me to accept their competence, show me. Without visual proof, they come across as academics, rather than image makers. Just a pet peeve of mine...

I don't get the OP's point either. Is anyone surprised creatives have egos? They always have, and always will.
    Eddie: I don't think there is anything wrong with being an academic.

And I think that are many people who are remarkably knowledgeable about photography, without being particularly remarkable photographers themselves.

I would suggest that some of them have a lot to contribute to others - both here on APUG, and elsewhere.

I do agree though that some people do seem to come across as "I can do better than you" without ever showing what they actually can do.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    Just exactly when did photography go from attracting people that were interested in the craft of photography, pro and serious amateur alike, to a large group of narcissistic egomaniacs that are interested in advertising themselves?
    These are film photographers?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I so often see comments on posted photographs that include the phrase, "thanks for sharing". Since when does sharing an image one is happy to have made and is proud of qualify as narcissistic? As any photograph posted on this site is open to critique whether appropriate or not given the forum, the posting photographer is vulnerable to highly negative assessments as well as high praise or, maybe worse, being totally ignored.

I think any self respecting narcissist* will utterly avoid apug in favor of a site on which their work is not vulnerable to any critique at all.

*no doubt a redundant descriptor. lol!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I'm a programmer so I'm gonna answer this like its an algorithm, here goes:

to_love=sharing
    sharing=happiness

when the human_being runs the above algorithm in his/her life it looks like this:

If the above algorithm is not run it looks like:
    get_off_my_lawn

Basically OP you are seeing increased access to a sharing medium and calling it narcissism (a disease mind you), when in actuality it was no more what Gutenberg helped instantiate

Guess I should delete my shares in the Gallery, would hate to be considered narcissistic....
    Andy

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin