Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,390   Online: 860

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    @zsas...YES, i agree !!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I understand the OP's question. It makes sense, the internet and short attention spans of our modern life have created this situation. We always want it newer and "nower."

Every mom with a camera, AKA MWAC, calls themselves a pro without even learning. They sell "portraits" that all look like everyone else's, they're all auto everythinged, and photoshopped using the filters other MWACs tell them, and they give 100 digital shots for $69 and all copyrights, too.

As for the rest, we use photography to express ourselves and our vision. Without others seeing it, are we just expressing to ourselves? Like talking to hear our own voice?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kintatsu View Post
    As for the rest, we use photography to express ourselves and our vision. Without others seeing it, are we just expressing to ourselves? Like talking to hear our own voice?
    I rather enjoy talking to myself as I hate arguments.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 10-01-2013 at 10:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's not that it's new or even increased. Just that you have access to it 24/7 world wide. Turn off the computer and go shoot some film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Ha!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So how do you make decisions if you never argue with yourself?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    So how do you make decisions if you never argue with yourself?
    I just put things up for a vote.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    Just exactly when did photography go from attracting people that were interested in the craft of photography, pro and serious amateur alike, to a large group of narcissistic egomaniacs that are interested in advertising themselves? Was it the advent of the internet, and all those smiling faces peering from within the avatars (holding an ungodly expensive Leica usually)? The rise of social networks, and I wonder how social they really are, where everyone wants to be "liked", whatever that is? I look at some photo type websites, and nearly every posting has a string of links leading to the "photographer's" own work/website. Hey, it's just a thread on an online forum, not your personal advertisement. And why does your avatar show YOU and not your work? It reminds me of when I went out many years ago w/ my painting mentor to buy my first easel (tripod to us folks). He cautioned me not to eat the soft, chewy looking eraser I'd just paid a king's ransom for at some snobby art store, and he laughingly said that I could go get a beret and cigarette holder now, and grow a mustache.

Am I suffering from old dufferism? I have double checked that, and it's not just me. A few other people I talked to wondered about this too? Anyone have any ideas why, and when, this happened? Maybe it's these new electronic wonder digital cameras that do everything for people except put the print on the wall? I mean, every soccer mom w/ a DSLR and a big lens is a pro wedding photographer now, right? Not having to focus, figure out exposure, film type, etc may have attracted a lot of people that might otherwise have just been snapshot shooters w/ no pretension of being the next Richard Avadon/Ansel Adams, w/ their self published photo books showing their oh so serious self portrait on the cover, on the back, and inside the book a few times just for grins? I'm clutching at straws here.
    1839 - 40.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Just the two of us

I just put things up for a vote.
    As Billy connolly said, 'I'm a schizophrenic, and so am I'
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Man, I need your in-head-voices. I can't go 30 minutes without an argument breaking out. On the plus side, I never get out-smarted (so long as I keep my arguments inside my head, if I talk aloud my cubicle-neighbors get in on it, and they are fast & vicious buggers).

As for the OP, yea, I thought photography was always filled with big personalities. I don't think the current narcissism is photo-centric. Just look at all the pointless facebook/twitter/whatever posts. I remember reading a good article on the idea of the celebrity culture - with personal broadcasting at everyone's fingertips, everyone is now a celebrity in their own life. Narcissism and selfies are just extensions of that.

As for the MWACs, that's the price we pay for the democratization of technology. Personally, I don't really mind it. It made finding a wedding photographer much harder (so much crap to sift through). It has definitely changed the marketplace (how many professional photographers now make a large portion of their living by teaching and leading guided photo walks or vacations instead of stock photography), but change is not inherently bad or good, it just is. Some people will do better in the new environment, some people will do worse.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin