Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,632   Online: 680

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I sometimes wonder if Microsoft does, either...

According to developer friends of mine at Microsoft, they don't. It's so needlessly complex that no one does...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    That just screams ignorance - doesn't matter if you are shooting film or digital, not knowing enough about the tools available IS unprofessional, even if you aren't using them (aka thinking film cameras come in one of two flavors b/w or color). The "maybe you can be a pro like me" is unbridled arrogance, and one of the few statements from another photographer that would tempt me to respond with snarkiness - "I couldn't possibly be a pro like you - that would require me to descend to mediocrity" comes to mind. But usually I just grunt non-committally and turn my back instead.
    I just leave them with the old "I do it for me" statement. It confuses them. On the one hand, I can't be good if I don't try to make money, but on the other, I must be good if I'm using a camera that won't do everything for me!

There have been a couple here who have seen my pics and suggested I sell them, but most suggest doing portraits like them. They say if my prices are good I can sell lots.

One lady in her late 50s-early 60s asked me if they still made only black and white cameras any more when I told I shoot black and white film. She wasn't a pro, just a curious onlooker and we had a nice conversation. I even showed her grandkids what the pic looks like on the glass.

Only from a UNIX user perspective can you say that Windows lets you use a computer without training. I develop software applications for a living using Microsoft products, and I STILL don't know enough about the intricacies of the way Windows does stuff.
    For the average user, boot up with Windows, and everything is almost automatic. A click here or there for what you want to do, and boom you're there. I use Windows and Linux, both work for what I'm doing. I had to relearn it all with Windows 7. Nothing looks right, I want my XP/9x looking desktop, functionality, and feel! I can't develop applications and when I tried got too confused to go on!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kintatsu View Post
    For the average user, boot up with Windows, and everything is almost automatic. A click here or there for what you want to do, and boom you're there. I use Windows and Linux, both work for what I'm doing. I had to relearn it all with Windows 7. Nothing looks right, I want my XP/9x looking desktop, functionality, and feel! I can't develop applications and when I tried got too confused to go on!
    You can set Windows 7 to look almost exactly like XP. In fact I set it (and XP) to the "Classic" desktop which looks like Win2k. I use a program called Classic Shell to make the start menu look and work right too.

/OT

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll have to check it out. I'm getting a little crazy when I have to use 7. It's like knowing your wallet's in your pocket, but thinking the pocket's on your desk!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "The internet and the ability for anyone to call themselves anything and, with relative unfettered ease, establish themselves as such, has also played a big hand in the mess in which we are currently engulfed. Prior to such “democratic” publishing opportunities photographers had to have their work vetted by genuine editors and publishers. Yes, self-publishing has always existed but it seems to have existed with a healthy dose of self-criticism also, that is until the internet age."

Here: http://www.bloggernews.net/130743
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I won't bother reading all these pages. But regarding the initial post, egomaniacal photographers have been with us all along, just like other
    artist's who were full of themselves. All of which has nothing to do with the quality of work itself. There have been great artists who were humble; and of course, there seems to be jillions of obnoxious wannabees who are only marginally skilled. Likewise with self-promotion. I can
    think of several very successful photographers in the financial and reputation sense, who are really about zero on the real talent scale. But
    they're good salesmen. And contrary to the initial comment, Ansel Adams didn't make serious money on his "art" photography until late in life.
    He was recognized, but was otherwise a solid commercial photographer, who also got lucky on Polaroid stock. Avedon was more the deliberate puppeteer of haute society support. But look into the life of Carleton Watkins - one of the most talented photographers in history,
    with a giant ego, lots of backing, and alas, some very bad luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    ......... and of course, there seems to be jillions of obnoxious wannabees who are only marginally skilled. .
    Timing is everything.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That just screams ignorance - doesn't matter if you are shooting film or digital, not knowing enough about the tools available IS unprofessional, even if you aren't using them (aka thinking film cameras come in one of two flavors b/w or color). The "maybe you can be a pro like me" is unbridled arrogance, and one of the few statements from another photographer that would tempt me to respond with snarkiness - "I couldn't possibly be a pro like you - that would require me to descend to mediocrity" comes to mind. But usually I just grunt non-committally and turn my back instead.

a roommate of mine from college
    worked as an assistant for one of the largest names in photography
    in the 1990s .. extremely well known. and i am sure you and others
    here on this forum &c know exactly who i am talking about without me saying her name.
    she had no idea how to use her camera/s. it is extremely arrogant to suggest that just because
    someone doesn't know their equipment they are unprofessional. i also know many many many professionals
    who not so different from the person i was at first describing, do what they do, and do it well, and they don't know more
    than "what they do" ...

i am sure you and a large portion of the people who have logged into this website since 2002 who claim to be "professionals"
    or "nationally and internationally collected artists" don't know more than well a small sliver of what photography is, or even what
    your camera/s or processes you use are capable of.

personally, i have been experimenting with photography for more than 40 years. i have used film
    and papers and chemistry and ... to extremes most people wouldn't bother to use them,
    so i can learn ... i have been a professional for nearly 30 years
    charging people for what i make for them, whether it hangs on their wall, goes in their bookshelf
    or is published, and i am not so arrogant enough to say that i have even scratched the surface of what photography is.
    from what i see, photography, making photographs, using a camera, chemistry and light to make
    images .. is a deep hole ...a sink hole or a black hole that can go on forever and anyone who even suggests they are a master of it is a fool.
    Last edited by jnanian; 10-07-2013 at 08:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    People tend to subconsciously edit out the parts of photographer's lives which aren't glamorous or stereotypical of their reputation. For example, they forget that Edward Weston spent a lot of his time sitting around bored in a portrait studio waiting for some annoying rich lady to come in and get a half-hearted portrait taken. I've known a fair number of contemporary "art" photographers of high repute, and not one of them makes his living primarily doing "art". There's always something else - teaching, consultation, commercial photog, grunt work. Some of them paid their dues living the starving artist lifestyle for a long time before anything worked out. Not for me. I know of a couple more who hit the big time doing photography, but it was actually due
    to marrying someone rich who could support their conspicuous camera habit. Yeah, there are a couple of con men types who have made a lot of money
    catering glitzy big prints to unsophisticated tourists, but one could probably do that selling black velvet Elvis rugs to drunken tourists in Vegas too.
    I pity anyone who views the end goal of photography as fame or fortune.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bread-and-butter work in most professions isn't the glamorous work.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin