Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,393   Online: 723

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I've been told only if it matches the actual print, but since I don't print optically, NOTHING matches heh

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Those aren't the rules Stone.

If you are scanning from a print, you need to try to approximate it.

If you are scanning from a negative, you need to try for a result similar to what you might get in a print.

And if you are scanning from a slide, you need to try to make the result look like the slide.

The emphasis is on fidelity to the film based source. You need to avoid digital enhancements and digital manipulations - the results reasonably achievable in a darkroom should be your target.

And it is always okay to take steps to minimize the additions and distortions that a digital approach can add.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    hard to believe this thread is even here ...

if you dont 'like flickr's rules don't post there?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, don't post there. A group that would welcome images illustrating "how to convert a Pentax 645 film insert from 220 to 120" (to use your example). yet would insist that those illustrations be scans of analog prints, is being administered too foolishly to waste time on. That's absurd.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Yeah, don't post there. A group that would welcome images illustrating "how to convert a Pentax 645 film insert from 220 to 120" (to use your example). yet would insist that those illustrations be scans of analog prints, is being administered too foolishly to waste time on. That's absurd.
    There are ways around this - it is a discussion group after all. Follow their rules insofar as they say don't post the digital images to their pool. Instead post to one of your own sets, then post a link to it to the flickr group. You didn't violate the rules by posting a digitally acquired image to their pool, you only posted a link to the images. Better yet, set up a blog (wordpress or blogger come to mind), write an article, and post images with it. Then post a link here so those of us who are interested can find the info.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Those aren't the rules Stone.

If you are scanning from a print, you need to try to approximate it.

If you are scanning from a negative, you need to try for a result similar to what you might get in a print.

And if you are scanning from a slide, you need to try to make the result look like the slide.

The emphasis is on fidelity to the film based source. You need to avoid digital enhancements and digital manipulations - the results reasonably achievable in a darkroom should be your target.

And it is always okay to take steps to minimize the additions and distortions that a digital approach can add.
    But I have no clue what would approximate a print since I've never made one from and of my films... Ever...

So I'm not even sure how well exposed anything is, or even if it's printable (except my chromes which are mostly perfect as far as I can tell).

Anyway I'm just poking the bear at this point so I'll stop.

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heck, Stone, send me a neg and I'll make a print for you. Ain't nothin' else like holding a print in your hand and realizing there's no ink involved.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    Heck, Stone, send me a neg and I'll make a print for you. Ain't nothin' else like holding a print in your hand and realizing there's no ink involved.
    So you'll make me a Cibichrome/ilfochrome print??? Gee thanks!!!

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the posting rules are clearly described and people are still sneaking digital images it, the pics should be removed. Once the group starts to dilute analog images with digital shots, it becomes a free for all. Like that one couch that someone dumps on the street, the next thing you see is a garbage pile. Allow exceptions dilutes the credibility of the group also. That my 2¢ worth.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Large Format
    stone

as someone who usually uploads scans of slides, film and paper negatives and lumenized prints
    i pay close attention to threads where this rule is discussed ..

from what i can tell ...
    it means being true to your medium,
    so without excessive PS acrobatics
    you can upload whatever it is you need to upload.
    it means without turning your film origin ( or paper origin )
    image into a photoshop illustration you can upload film scans.

the problem is that on "other sites" the sky is the limit,
    and the computer program takes precedence ..
    i am sure you know what i mean .. elaborate steps to do whatever it is someone may want to do
    like turn a slide scan of a cute and cuddly koala into a folded origami cute and cuddly koala bear in its own little
    imagined universe ...

in other words ... the sky isn't the limit, the limit is well, to mimic what you might be able to do in the dark ..

john
    Last edited by jnanian; 10-15-2013 at 11:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GRHazelton View Post
    I subscribe to several Flickr groups, some of which are strictly devoted to film. Fine, I shoot film and digital, and develop my own BW. Two of the sites have just announced that NO DIGITAL IMAGES of any sort will be permitted, on pain being banned from the group. This implies that, for example, if I wish to explain and demonstrate how to convert a Pentax 645 film insert from 220 to 120, or vice versa, I have to shoot on increasingly expensive film, process it, and then scan the negative in order to do what could be done digitally in moments.

Yes, I could describe the process in words, but the addition of pictures makes the process much clearer and less likely to be misunderstood.

Does anyone else feel that this position by the Administrator is a little extreme?
    Rather than put the images on the group pool why not simply put them on a thread in the comments?

RR

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin