Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,735   Online: 900

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GRHazelton View Post
    I subscribe to several Flickr groups, some of which are strictly devoted to film. Fine, I shoot film and digital, and develop my own BW. Two of the sites have just announced that NO DIGITAL IMAGES of any sort will be permitted, on pain being banned from the group. This implies that, for example, if I wish to explain and demonstrate how to convert a Pentax 645 film insert from 220 to 120, or vice versa, I have to shoot on increasingly expensive film, process it, and then scan the negative in order to do what could be done digitally in moments.

Yes, I could describe the process in words, but the addition of pictures makes the process much clearer and less likely to be misunderstood.

Does anyone else feel that this position by the Administrator is a little extreme?
    You just cannot fight the digitalmafia.I too gave up eventually and went all digital. resistance is futile.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Add EXIF data to a scan of a silver-gelatin print...just to screw with them.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've done copy-photos of some of my cyanotypes; it looks like from the exif data, a manipulated Nikon D600 image.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    You just cannot fight the digitalmafia.I too gave up eventually and went all digital. resistance is futile.
    I thought you only went digital for PRINTING but were still shooting film?

Do you EVER shoot film?

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Point out to them that no one will ever be able to post an image, since pictures on the internet are by definition digital...
    This was my first thought. If the group insists on analog only, then there won't be much to view unless they can figure out a way to hold the prints or slides up to their web cam and then get others in the group to view them before their arms get tired.
    What?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer X 69 View Post
    If the group insists on analog only, then there won't be much to view unless they can figure out a way to hold the prints or slides up to their...
    ...eyes.

That's precisely what the various APUG group print exchange activities are all about. You make a real print using your own real hands using real light, real negatives, and real photographic paper. No fooling around with simulated computerized virtual abstractions of any of these ingredients.

Then you send it through the real postal mail to another real member who holds it up to the real light for the real experience of viewing it in person. Digitized images of these real prints are not real prints. Nor are transmitted webcam images of real prints. You have to be able to hold it in your hands.

See here: Member Organized Functions

Why not pick one out and give it a try?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Hi Ralph, I know you did, when you moved. One of the first things that occurred to me was that it will be very interesting to hear your opinions in a few years. I'm still in the camp that thinks there's nothing quite like holding that silver print in your hand, but I suspect you'll take the other ways of printing as far as they can go, and then your opinions and experience will be fascinating to hear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    Hi Ralph, I know you did, when you moved. One of the first things that occurred to me was that it will be very interesting to hear your opinions in a few years. I'm still in the camp that thinks there's nothing quite like holding that silver print in your hand, but I suspect you'll take the other ways of printing as far as they can go, and then your opinions and experience will be fascinating to hear.
    Holding a silver print or a digital print does not make a difference to me; only the result (i.e. the print) matters.

For the Flikr group, if they can't perceive the irony of situation, I would run away, life is too short to mess with analog ayatollahs.
    "The problem with photography is that it only deals with appearances." Duane Michals

"A photograph is a secret of a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Holding a silver print or a digital print does not make a difference to me; only the result (i.e. the print) matters.
    Yes fair enough. I meant what it looks like in person, as opposed to a scan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi nedL
    i agree with you and i disagree with you at the same time.
    i think at a certain point 2 images made with different methods
    and printed the same way tend to look the same ..
    i have told the story before about giving 2 prints to a hardcore analog luddite
    and he wasn't able to tell them apart ...
    i think people see and believe what they want ...
    and if someone wants to see the difference between things, they will always
    insist on seeing things that others might not notice, and even after pointing out
    the differences the other party still can't see them and they just agree / shrug their shoulders ...

i know people who love automat-expresso machines. i'm not a fan but i never turn down free coffee
    i can tell the difference, they can't i just don't bother suggesting there is a difference anymore
    because i have come to the conclusion that maybe i am imagining the difference in texture taste and nuance,
    because, well, i like hand pulled shots ... and there probably isn't any difference in the end except they
    don't have to clean up the mess but once in a blue moon, and i have to clean up the mess every time i pull a shot

to each their own ..

speaking of which, i think ill have some expresso after i post this
    cheers
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin