Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,950   Posts: 1,585,950   Online: 936

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Digital images on a film site??

I subscribe to several Flickr groups, some of which are strictly devoted to film. Fine, I shoot film and digital, and develop my own BW. Two of the sites have just announced that NO DIGITAL IMAGES of any sort will be permitted, on pain being banned from the group. This implies that, for example, if I wish to explain and demonstrate how to convert a Pentax 645 film insert from 220 to 120, or vice versa, I have to shoot on increasingly expensive film, process it, and then scan the negative in order to do what could be done digitally in moments.

Yes, I could describe the process in words, but the addition of pictures makes the process much clearer and less likely to be misunderstood.

Does anyone else feel that this position by the Administrator is a little extreme?

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is something you need group think on?!? Logic dictates you remove yourself. Start your own damn group.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe the administrators haven't thought about images used to illustrate a process. Otherwise I'd agree with their stance. You might want to ask before jumping to conclusions.

Shooter
    35mm
    It does seem extreme. I think that on a site dedicated to film there should be a distinction between images pertaining to artistic merit (or indeed photographic process) and those which are merely quick snapshots to illustrate some technical point or piece of equipment as you have described. I can understand that pictures on a film-only site which are of an artistic or demonstrative nature should be shot on film and anyone visiting the site would expect this to be so. Pictures which are there to quickly illustrate a technical discussion are best shot on digital (or a Polaroid) for immediacy and this is one thing that digital is very good for. It seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I don't feel it is extreme, I am a member of a Pentax 6x7 group there that is specifically for non-cropped images. I find that valuable to be able to see what the lens actually does in terms of DOF and FOV. Cropping alters that assessment capability.

One possibility for beating the rules, as it were, would be to start a discussion thread inside the group and post your digital images/walk-through on the Pentax film back conversion inside the thread, rather than submitting it to the pool of images in the group. Quite like you wouldn't submit a digital-captured image to the galleries here at APUG, but you could start a thread and submit digital-captured images describing the film back conversion therein.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GRHazelton View Post
    I subscribe to several Flickr groups, some of which are strictly devoted to film. Fine, I shoot film and digital, and develop my own BW. Two of the sites have just announced that NO DIGITAL IMAGES of any sort will be permitted, on pain being banned from the group. This implies that, for example, if I wish to explain and demonstrate how to convert a Pentax 645 film insert from 220 to 120, or vice versa, I have to shoot on increasingly expensive film, process it, and then scan the negative in order to do what could be done digitally in moments.

Yes, I could describe the process in words, but the addition of pictures makes the process much clearer and less likely to be misunderstood.

Does anyone else feel that this position by the Administrator is a little extreme?
    Point out to them that no one will ever be able to post an image, since pictures on the internet are by definition digital...

Shooter
    35mm
    +1. That was my first thought!!
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow.
    The rules are there to keep assholes from dumping their memory cards from their D whatever to the wrong group as was being done quite often. Get over it.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Flickr groups are for sharing images meeting the qualifications of that group. If you want to do something other than share qualifying images, take the discussion here or another forum. I like Flickr's groups and photo sharing, but don't think much of it as a discussion place.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the OP makes an excellent point about using digital images for instruction purposes, assuming of course that the groups in question actually mean that he'd have to do what he assumes he'd have to, in order to post instructions with pictures

If I need knowledge to further my use and enjoyment of analogue cameras, processing etc which is the example he gave then why have rules that frustrates this?

The OP might not then bother to do what he thinks he is forced to and the only sufferers are those of us who need that knowledge that the OP possesses.

I was a recipient of the very instruction he mentions, namely the conversion of a 220 P645N insert to a 120 insert.

Thanks for that GRHazelton.

What might make sense is a rule that says that in the galleries all scans should be from prints and not from neg scans which like the instruction example the OP gives, should be confined to issues about neg problems such those of the "what went wrong here?" type

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin