Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,585   Posts: 1,545,800   Online: 1118

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing to do with training, I am simply referring to research that seems to point to a link between a missing, crucial, layer of fat and brittle bone disease in women. Many in the studies have even been very physically fit. Can't find the material now, as I am on via my phone, but google about. There are other negative effects with too little fat as well, as well as having too much if it (heart attacks/brain aneurism, diabetes etc)
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Most magazines are fantasy sellers and reality is not the goal. If you wanted magazines to look like the average American woman she would be probably fat and poorly dressed and poorly made up.

This whole thing is just like the Dove campaign a few years ago to try to show "real women". Well real women probably don't buy those magazines anyways, mostly just teenage girls do.

The same with portrait photography, people don't want pictures of themselves, they want pictures of themselves looking like they are beautiful.

You can argue that beauty is an un made-up "natural" woman, and I'd probably agree but I don't see many women wanting to look that way.

How many romance novel do you think would sell if they were about reality?

You can also argue that retouched models in magazines hurt self esteem and body image in women. I'm sure it does. But the beauty and fashion and cosmetic industry is a multi billion dollar business and it's goal is to make women feel "not good enough" without their products. Think that's going to change?
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    I hope the makeup artists are asking for more money.

Or at least personally - lacking a makeup artist - I've spent more time dealing with blemishes and other minor flaws than I do shooting at times. I imagine anyone involved in getting it right in camera is going to be more in demand if this idea starts spreading. I have my doubts about consumers caring though.
    What about this 'HD' make-up you can get? And what does it even mean? It's like that glasses advert where the northern woman says "it's laark a-can see in aitch dee" - in which case I think she needs to go back to the opticians.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Granted, a lot of skin-retouch these days is horrible, you just need to look at the photo of the day on modelmayhem.com to understand that.
    They even have ready-made "pores" to be placed on skin, after it has been smoothed out, looks terrible, seems to be very popular.

I limit myself to removing blemishes and evening out skin tone (as very few has those nice gradients in the skin without a proper MUA-job anyway).
    Ends up very natural, even at 350% zoom, you really can't tell that it has been doctored much.

- And the models seems to be pleased so....
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    What about this 'HD' make-up you can get? And what does it even mean? It's like that glasses advert where the northern woman says "it's laark a-can see in aitch dee" - in which case I think she needs to go back to the opticians.
    Trust me I work on set on movies a lot, after the introduction of HD recording video and movie they were very very specific about makeup because it's much more obvious with the HD video if there are flaws etc. So the idea is this makeup is designed to hide lines even better than "normal" makeup... It's all advertising of course but that explains it at least.

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Trust me I work on set on movies a lot, after the introduction of HD recording video and movie they were very very specific about makeup because it's much more obvious with the HD video if there are flaws etc. So the idea is this makeup is designed to hide lines even better than "normal" makeup... It's all advertising of course but that explains it at least.

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ah, got you. And I can understand the 'make-up as technology' thing in one sense - looking at the Library of Congress colour pictures from the 50s - the stuff women put on their faces back then looked like the surface of the moon.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    Well, here in Norway, the population is generally pretty healthy (although both sexes are getting fatter these days).

The problem over here, is that normal, slender and perfectly normal girls, want to have sixpacks.
    When a person has a visible sixpack (Madonna's body), they have a fat percentage which is about 5%, while the norm is somewhere between 20-30 for women and 15 and 20 for men, AFAIK.

- Such a low fat percentage can, among other things, be linked to a high risk of Osteoporosis (brittle bone disease) when females pass the menopause.

(Here's a typical chart) http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/...centage-chart/ )

There are skinny people and people who have a low-fat percentage, but this isn't really the norm.
    If they plan to use normal people (average fat percentage) with no shopping, I would have no problem with the idea, but if they just start using people which isn't really representative, then IMO the idea of "no shopping" could do more harm than good.
    I am a little bit of a weightlifter and the average mans body fat is around 15%. The average for women is around 20%. Most people begin to see visible abdomenal muscles when they are around 10% (men) and 15% for women. But that has a lot to do with ones muscle genetics in the first place. I know I don't have those chunky ab muscles so I need to get below 10% in order to see that.

Some are "thin" but have such little muscle mass that they are able to carry around ~20% body fat without appearing fat with clothes on. Again, it all has to do with lean muscle mass.

5% body fat is absolutely miserable from what I hear and is not sustainable for more than a couple weeks. Even for men, 5% body fat is insanely lean.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Speaking as an ex-city person, now a country boy I've gotten to know and make friends with a good many of these fine folks out here. A lot of turkey and chicken farmers, as well as other live stock. I think a lot of you city people on here would be shocked to know what the feed companies are making chicken feed out of, for instance. And it follows right up the food chain. Now wonder I can't find a thin girl to marry. They're ALL overweight. And I don't say that disparagingly.
    You can't expect to grind up the scraps from the slaughterhouse, mix it with corn and steroids, feed it right back to the next chicken house, and not have that follow up the chain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Isn't illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    You can't expect to grind up the scraps from the slaughterhouse, mix it with corn and steroids, feed it right back to the next chicken house, and not have that follow up the chain.
    With JKD (Mad cow) infecting herds, isn't it verboten?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can't feed bovine to bovine.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin