Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,223   Online: 1053

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Is the tide turning on retouched models?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4079217.html
    No Photoshop? I wonder how they do their prepress.

I guess you can always tweak colours in InDesign.

(I know, I know, they just mean "no elongated limbs or pumped up parts," but still...)
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Along with what Winger said...
    Not all 0's are coke snorting anorexics... Just like not all overweight people are fast food eating slobs...
    Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you go back and check, I don't say that, I also mention that some people are just skinny by nature, some people in Asia are smaller in general etcetc.
    Should be pretty self-explanatory that I'm talking about normal people that mess with their health to reach idiotic levels of fat-deposits, this happens all over the world, even in Asia, where they are tiny to begin with.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    If you go back and check, I don't say that, I also mention that some people are just skinny by nature, some people in Asia are smaller in general etcetc.
    Should be pretty self-explanatory that I'm talking about normal people that mess with their health to reach idiotic levels of fat-deposits, this happens all over the world, even in Asia, where they are tiny to begin with.
    Fair enough, I'm often guilty of generalizing too, so I follow you now.

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not all 0's are coke snorting anorexics... Just like not all overweight people are fast food eating slobs...

couldn't agree more with you stone.
    some folks are just thin just like others aren't.

and there is a social stigma attached to both ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    couldn't agree more with you stone.
    some folks are just thin just like others aren't.

and there is a social stigma attached to both ...
    thanks john

Now get off the couch and put down that snickers bar!!!

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    cr@p its a KING SIZE too ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Fashion is cyclical ... Fat women used to be all the rage, show your wealth with a hefty girl you can afford to feed...
    The aesthetic ideal for "beauty" is dictated by the ruling class. When there was food scarcity (most of human history) overweight signalled membership of the upper classes; it was one of the signs of prestige. Today when junk food is cheap and readily available the wealthy are lean because they generally refrain from; and the poor who consume the fast food and the soft drinks are obese.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by I.G.I. View Post
    The aesthetic ideal for "beauty" is dictated by the ruling class. When there was food scarcity (most of human history) overweight signalled membership of the upper classes; it was one of the signs of prestige. Today when junk food is cheap and readily available the wealthy are lean because they generally refrain from; and the poor who consume the fast food and the soft drinks are obese.
    +1

I can see how that makes sense

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Is the tide turning on retouched models?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4079217.html
    The article misses the point I am afraid. The problem is not the retouching as such - as others have mentioned it was a standard photographic practice long before the arrival of digital and PS; it was done either by the photographers, or by their skilled assistants; and after all one of the main aims of ad photos is to induce dreams and aspirations. The problem with PS is the raw power and the standardisation of the software. As a result the altered photos are often lifeless, and look very much alike as were churned out by a factory line. That's what actually cause the objections: photoshopping often erase faces' individuality as certain "imperfections" and asymmetries is what give the face character. It's interesting that PS, plastic surgery, and the so called "aesthetic dentistry" have the same fake unappealing look: taut, straightened, and uniform in colour.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Are we so ugly

I think images today is just another consumer item. Just like any item consumed, it is in the interest for the buyer to find out what it does to and for the end user. Consuming blindly is without knowing the intent of the producer and what it does to the end user is bad. Blasky astutely stated that it's fantasy. The danger is when one thinks touched up models is a standard of beauty or makes the everyday mundane scary and ugly. Escapism is fine as long as you come back to reality. Magazines have always been able to create fantasy without Photoshop. Magazines and media have alway made many folks feel inadequate and ugly if it lets them. Not only that, media distorted the reality of what is desirable and beautiful.

How many men out there are chasing that Victoria's Secret model? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5_AFk9aOAA
    Last edited by Mainecoonmaniac; 10-22-2013 at 01:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin