Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,012   Online: 703

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modus Operandi

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Just this moment stepped out of the darkroom after processing 16 4x5 sheets from the Crown Graphic. Exposures are from the local State Fair last August.

I had decided this year to try handheld large format using your described approach. I've had good success before that way with smaller, more nimble cameras. This time, however, the preliminary look at the hangers in the wash was a bit depressing. Out-of-focus issues on moving subjects, mostly. Late shutter releases on some others. Perhaps a couple decent efforts. Maybe...

Damn it. This is supposed to be relaxing and fun. Isn't it??

I need more practice with this camera/format. The tolerances are so darned tight for handheld large format. The required presets, prefocus, pre-framing, and shutter anticipation just didn't seem to successfully come together frequently enough. And the slow-burning flashbulbs don't freeze action very well either. But the quality of their light is very pleasing, I must say.

If I were still younger I'd just pick up my basketball and head for the gym tonight in frustration...

Ken
    You need a Littman.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    as you said prefocuse and guess on metering as well as you can and hope for the best. iconic pictures have been made this way. rememberHCB?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Anticipating the decisive moment. Too true, Ralph. It is a rare gift to be able to visualize so wide a group of inputs and be able to determine when everything will happen together and then be there and ready to take advantage of it.

I have almost always been slow and methodical, perhaps due to the subject nature of my photography. However, when I do turn my camera toward a more fleeting subject, something greater on the inside takes over.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Today, without enough warm-up, took a tour of Winchester Mystery House TM with a talented guide. Though severely tempted, respected the no photography rule inside the mansion proper. I thought I was relaxed about it... But not being allowed to shoot created enough tension to trip me up, and later when I was free (because garden and buildings not attached to the main Mansion it's totally fine to take pictures)... I wasn't able to "see" anything for a while. It was weird but I shot anyway. Of six shots, I only feel I may have one interesting composition and one other record shot of the buck statue on the front lawn might be successful. I blame my own being out of practice, not the camera.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin