Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,713   Online: 1257

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ENTROPY

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think I will experience lots of enthropy with my 8mm photographs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi Agx
    sorry for being vague ...
    i mean the exact opposite of obsessive-exactitude ( if that is a word? ) ..

love those entropic solargraphs ned
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John, I don't think entropy was a good word for this. Colloquially people tend to use the word entropy to signify any tendency toward disorder or randomness, so originally I assumed you were asking about leaving things to complete chance without a pre-defined image or result in mind - eg: point the camera anywhere without viewing, leave the shutter open for two days and "see what happens", or on the technical side - dump some coffee into spent A130 and "see what happens". That sort of thing. But I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    John, I don't think entropy was a good word for this. Colloquially people tend to use the word entropy to signify any tendency toward disorder or randomness, so originally I assumed you were asking about leaving things to complete chance without a pre-defined image or result in mind - eg: point the camera anywhere without viewing, leave the shutter open for two days and "see what happens", or on the technical side - dump some coffee into spent A130 and "see what happens". That sort of thing. But I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
    I tease john a lot because many of his abstracts look just like your description hehe

However I know John is a very skilled manipulator of image and light.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi michael

i wouldn't say 2 days and see what happens mainly because i am too impatient but yes, exactly ..

thanks stone!
    john

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think stabilised photogenic drawings may come under this heading, as would Anthotypes.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

You want entropy, photograph children.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    ... leaving things to complete chance without a pre-defined image or result in mind - eg: point the camera anywhere without viewing, ... and "see what happens". That sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    ... yes, exactly ...
    I don't go quite that far, but I do freely admit that for all my careful planning, framing, and exposure measurement, many of my best photographs have ended up being nothing like my "visualization" at the time the shutter fired. Happy accidents is probably a good term. Add to the "accidents" the deliberate manipulations that occur once in the darkroom, and there ya are ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    'Serendipity' springs to mind.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Entropy: Sending your film to a less than stellar lab and getting back someone elses photos.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin