Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,486   Posts: 1,571,305   Online: 770

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ENTROPY

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

ENTROPY

does anyone (else) allow entropy into their photo making technique?

if so, what do you do, what are you against doing and what does it do for your work?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What do you mean by that? No definition of entropy used over here seems to fit. Or... I'm lacking imagination again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't learn much from the thermodynamics portions of my physics courses, but one thing I did catch is that entropy is not optional!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, I'm not sure this is what you mean but I think solargraphs are more like "finding" a picture than "making" one. They reflect all the day to day variation and a stretch of time that will never happen again, ever. Plus temperature/humidity/clouds/fogginess/curl/shadows/wind/hail/rain/snow and a big dollop of luck. Like opening a present that you have no idea what it will be.

( I've got an album with some solargraphs at the link in my "signature" below, but these are very shhhhh hybrid, so we won't talk about them here. )

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I keep an aging photo of myself in a darkened closet (i.e., color, of course ). Kind of the Dorian Grey reverse of archival qualities.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you mean entropy, as in, allowing for happy accidents, then yes.

I experiment and take notes and when I find what I like, i keep thos notes as my method for later. And later, if I do something wrong (inevitable, just ask my girlfriend), then I make a note of how I did it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I keep an aging photo of myself in a darkened closet (i.e., color, of course ). Kind of the Dorian Grey reverse of archival qualities.
    Do you cringe, knowing not only that the subject of the photograph will always be younger than you, but the photograph will as well? (I keep images of myself to a minimum, while supplying others with future proof of their decline.)

Time is intolerant of
    The brave and innocent.
    And indifferent in a week
    To a beautiful physique.

-W.H. Auden
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not a very common word, but I remember from uni that it has something to do with a decline into disorderliness and derangement of predictability. Neither nor both are desirable in my work where there is a structured approach and the element of surprise that often makes a shoot so memorable (and often, memorable for all the wrong reasons). Entropy is also an active clinical characteristic in people with Alzheimers. This should be interesting. Sorry, what was the question??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John: Get a woman half your age. It may not prevent entropy with your photography. But, then, you may not care.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Alan, haha!

I'm very precise with my dev mixtures, and temperature, but every now and then I'm thinking of a photograph, and end up developing shorter or longer than I had planned because I feel like that one photograph that was my favorite, might come out better, but it's more a feeling than planned, however I always notate what the time was of course
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin