Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,710   Online: 905

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How many pros or former pros have been asked to work for free or just tear sheets?

"Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It happens all the time. But not just photographer, but any trade or skilled work is a target. Mechanics and plumbers come to mind. And if they are not asked to do the actual work, their tools are forever the target of "friends" that don't realise that the tools are what these tradesmen make their living with. And doctors and lawyers are constantly hounded for fee advice. Probably politicians are immune from the problem. Who would bother to ask someone who has to have a committee to choose the color of Kleenex for the office for their advice on anything? Don

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Agreed, lightwisps.

"Oh, hey, you like computers, you think they're fun, you work with them, could you take a look at a problem I've been having?"

Right, because I work in IT somehow or I'm a web developer or program microprocessors that means "I will find fixing your computer fun".

Shooter
    35mm
    You're lucky you weren't a mechanic. Everybody has a car, and half of them are too cheap to get it fixed, so guess who gets asked to come over and take a look at some poor unmaintained piece of junk. ( 99% of the time, I refused).
    That answering statement from the producers was a bit of typical corporate mumbo-jumbo, the kind they spout when they get caught out.
    I'm glad that artist not only refused, but gave them a good, public telling-off.

Shooter
    35mm
    Probably some poor sap at a desk being leaned on by his superiors to prove his worth to the company by getting something for nothing. Media companies are grim, immoral, intellectually sterile businesses who hide their predatory instincts beneath a cool and egalitarian front. In my experience they're much less likely to pay up and smile than your typical nut and bolt factory.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Even at work between management and employees this happens a lot.

I recently applied for a managers job where I work. One of the interviewers concerns was that I hadn't built a reputation as someone who others looked to for leadership. (I built my management skills before I arrived here.)

He was a bit shocked when I told him that it was because I wasn't being paid as a manager and that I don't give my skills away for free.

I see this all the time around me too businesses asking for a little more here and a little more there and hanging some nebulous carrot out there that you never can quite reach. When I was young I thought that extra work would turn into something, it doesn't.

I have a motto now for my "making a living skills": You pay, I work; you don't, I don't.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not a problem. Just say "Glad to help, hey, while I am doing this for you, would you mind painting my house? Haven't had time lately."
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    all the time ...
    oh well ..

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin