Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,558   Online: 775

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    It is my personal belief that the power of a photograph lies not in its ability to describe, but its ability to interpret and distill.

courtesy Daido Moriyama and the ICP Library

I am not attracted to "perfect" depictions of subject matter...whether that subject matter is perfect in its own right or otherwise. An inquiry is always much more interesting to me than a superficial exaltation.
    You might describe this picture, as an artistic statement, as illusionary. It plays on our idea of the 'phenomenon' of illusions, the half glimpsed.

They'll end up dead too.
    I suggest you put down your copy of Camera Lucida for the night.
    Last edited by batwister; 11-13-2013 at 04:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The contrary case can be put.

Photographs, unique among known picture making processes, are securely immune from the hazard of illusion. All other pictures, paintings, drawings, and digipix, are generated from coded descriptions stored in a brain, either a human brain or a computer brain. And to change the picture all that is needed is to change the description. This is freely possible without reference to any external reality.

Photographs, on the other hand, are initiated by a physical sample of subject matter penetrating a light sensitive surface and occasioning in situ marks. This pattern of marks, the photograph, arises via the impersonal operation of the laws of chemistry and physics. A photograph is never virtual. A typical 8x10 photograph (for example) weighs about 15.7 grammes and is 0.28mm thick. An honest photograph is inherently incapable of depicting figments of the imagination or hallucinations. The other picture making processes, paintings, drawings, digipix, and what have you, promise that whatever can be thought of can be depicted. Here is a dramatic and decisive difference that sets photography apart.

None of this argument closes off the richness and perversity of the human imagination. People are free to entertain their own illusions, delusions, misinterpretations, and hallucinations about photographs as with any other aspect of the material world.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    The contrary case can be put.

Photographs, unique among known picture making processes, are securely immune from the hazard of illusion.
    Surely that depends on what you photograph, the way you frame it, how you light it, ad infinitum.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So the consensus is that such a generalization serves only to spur on further pedantry and lip-blubbering when we should be drinking wine with a pretty lady.

Or handsome fellow, take your pick.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post

An honest photograph is inherently incapable of depicting figments of the imagination or hallucinations.

Seriously????

I somehow envision you out on the street corner arguing this theory with anyone walking by, pontificating how your brand of photography is the only TRUE path to heaven.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bottom of my M2, just in case of memory lapse.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    If pictures were just illusions, the content would be incidental.
    a lot of the great photographs are FULL of incidental content.
    random people places and things that were important enough to the
    operator of the camera to put on film and paper ..
    making photographs is still a magic trick
    no so much a rabbit and a hat but other stuff ...
    and using traditional materials has almost become something sacred ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Is that true?
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    courtesy Daido Moriyama and the ICP Library.
    At first I thought this was your print and I was astonished...

Then I saw the tagline...

At least I still believe this is something you CAN do.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin