Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,003   Online: 896

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Because all the other hipsters are doing it?

In reality, I enjoy the process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ... because I´m used to it for decades ;-)
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    For many of the reasons already listed, and partly because of a place like APUG, where you deal with knowledgeable, courteous people who don't just sit around and snipe at each other.
    Was that last part supposed to be a little bit of sarcasm? Lol

I will definitely bit, especially in the beginning when I started using film again, that much of my reason for shooting film over Digital was the thought that "oh I won't be able to post this for critique if I don't shoot it on film..." Hah!

I will also admit that because of the fact that I have a hybrid process, I scanned my negatives, that Digital compared to 35mm film just doesn't cut it unless I have a drum Scanner in terms of detail, and medium format is better but not a time better in terms of the detail I can pull with the normal V750 scanner I have, however definitely an large-format there's a difference in detail quality, but the most important thing is just the looks I get, and I mean not by people watching me shooting film, but the look of the image. I tend to shoot mostly black-and-white with film, and I think in black-and-white in terms of lighting etc. so all of that means that I look at tones and texture a lot, and film just destroys Digital in that sense. And that's really the most important thing, my own personal signature, the style and look of my images, that someone can say oh that's definitely a Stone shot because it looks like this...

This is also why I hand process all of my black-and-white film.

And then of course there's the style of shooting the changes depending on what type of camera you're using, if you're using an SLR with a view finder then you get one serve image, but there's a different feel when you're shooting for example a TLR with a square waist level finder.

And then there's LF tilts and Movements etc.

So, that's why!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    I use film because I love the workflow. I love to get my hands wet in the darkroom and work through test strips and holding my breath when I turn the light on to see a final print.

That's why I love black & white film. It's hard for me to enjoy shooting color because I don't get to do those things. Someone/something else does all the processing & printing with dark arts/magic out of my sight. I know developing color isn't too hard but printing it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why do I use film? Why not?
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why do I use film?

1. Because I shoot slower.
    2. Its more fun.
    3. I love the thrill of knowing I have to get the photo I want in 36 shots or less.
    4. I love the process (Please note that I have a Nikon D600 as well so I tried both side of digital and analog and I still prefer film.)
    5. I actually feel more confident when using film (Odd I know).
    6. I don't have to wrestle with a lot of controls when using film once I know how it performs under certain conditions.

Yeah I love film, but only for personal work, I still use digital when it comes to client works because it's what they want.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    It has a physical integrity and thereafter I don't really care about production, although I do print in a darkroom before the introduction of digital conversion.

+1

Gets me away from the computer now and then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because:

1. I love the look of film;
    2. I love the fact that shooting film slows me down;
    3. I love the entire process, from shooting the picture to printing the final product;
    4. I didn't become a photographer to spend hours at a time time sitting on my ass doing "post-production" work on a computer (8-14 hours/day at work is quite sufficient, thank you very much);
    5. I love the fact that shooting with a film camera requires (for most folks) a measure of technical skill;
    6. Because nothing in this world looks more glorious than a well executed black and white image shot printed by a skilled printer (viewing Ansel Adams work was an epiphany);
    7. Because after some 30-plus years of shooting film, I have a comfort level and familiarity with the stuff;
    8. Because I love occupying a niche (LOL);
    9. Because film is archival (as an environmentalist/outdoors-person, much of my work is done to record what was...);
    10. Because film most closely approximates the recording of what I saw (the exception being some of the more extreme +/- brackets on E100G/VS);

And although I would never be considered any sort of neo-Luddite (check my signature):

11. None of my F2/F3HP/F4s/F5/F6/M6 or 500c/m bodies has provision for my CF/SDHC cards (!);
    12. Because more often than not...digital just doesn't look quite right (no matter the post production effort).
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I answered this many times on APUG. Please do a search.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    The way the digital camera marketers count pixels, each color is a pixel. A typical digital sensor records one color per pixel, then interpolates to get you a full color image. So a 20 MP camera gets you at best 10 MP of green, 5 MP of blue, and 5 MP of red. If you're lucky enough to have a camera with a Foveon sensor, you get 3 colors per pixel, but then they triple the pixel count. For example, the Sigma camera that B&H has for sale is sold as a 46MP camera. But the images you get out of it are roughly 15MP.

35mm film records roughly 25MP equivalent in each of the three color channels, so it's like having a 75MP camera the way the marketers count pixels.

But most importantly, I shoot for projection, which means I shoot transparency film. 35mm slides projected at 2x3m (4x6ft, roughly) look good, but try projecting even bigger on the side of your house or side of your garage. Wow!
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin