Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,579   Online: 869

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dynamic Range FIAL!

Cropped sections from photo in question. Again, not saying digital could not have handled this, but that film would have handled it easily with nothing more than sunny-16.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7779.JPG   IMG_7779_2.JPG  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Cropped sections from photo in question. Again, not saying digital could not have handled this, but that film would have handled it easily with nothing more than sunny-16.
    well the whole exposure is off, like, it's overexposed by at least a stop or two to begin with...

Also, did you save this as a RAW file or just jpg... because that could also be a huge reason you can't pull the detail?

ANYWAY... this isn't a digital discussion forum so you can't answer that here anyway haha, but anyway, film is grand so yay film!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, yeah its overexposed by a stop, I see that NOW. Not very forgiving, is it? And no, not RAW because you can't rapid fire shoot (pets) without overloading the buffer along with other processing issues we don't need to talk about here.

So yeah, film has some advantages other than these touchy feely mystical qualities people were talking about.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Well, yeah its overexposed by a stop, I see that NOW. Not very forgiving, is it? And no, not RAW because you can't rapid fire shoot (pets) without overloading the buffer along with other processing issues we don't need to talk about here.

So yeah, film has some advantages other than these touchy feely mystical qualities people were talking about.
    AH that's your main problem, you're using JPG not RAW... no wonder, not a good comparison haha... for you film guys I'll talk in terms of film to be PC....

He's shooting with..... Fuji FP100C and getting a print, instead of shooting with Portra, and then wondering why the over exposed image can't get any info in the blown highlights, because the image is final, you don't have a digital negative (RAW), you have a digital print (JPG) so you're not going to be able to pull info... nuff said on that subject.

STILL why do I shoot film? cause it's friggin awesome!!! (and you don't have to machine gun your pets with it... hehe).
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is RAW? Are you cooking meat?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, geez, Steve. Not if it's RAW.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right! I figured that the meat would start off RAW and end up in Medium Format.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    why do I use film?

what a bizarre question...as if I would set up the camera, compose, focus, measure the light, calculate an exposure and trip the shutter....only to expose the...what? air molecules inside the film chamber? I use film because...well, because photography is kinda a meaningless activity without film in the camera...isn't it?
    Last edited by BradS; 11-27-2013 at 06:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Me, I'm just to dumb and old fashioned for digital. Not to mention, there have been some statutes passed regarding my being allowed to use certain types of technology, part of which might or might not be digital photography.

No, it's just, by and large, that it is all I have ever used. Don't see that changing much in the future.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Me, I'm just to dumb and old fashioned for digital. Not to mention, there have been some statutes passed regarding my being allowed to use certain types of technology, part of which might or might not be digital photography.

No, it's just, by and large, that it is all I have ever used. Don't see that changing much in the future.
    What statutes?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin