Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,221   Posts: 1,532,340   Online: 1072

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Right! I figured that the meat would start off RAW and end up in Medium Format.
    Haha yea no cooking my meat if possible the less cooked the better for me, and large format if possible, need my protein for carrying the camera
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Well, geez, Steve. Not if it's RAW.
    Maybe steak tartare?

There is also "blue" which is basically where you show the steak the flame quickly on each side and throw it on the plate.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    why do I use film?

what a bizarre question...as if I would set up the camera, compose, focus, measure the light, calculate an exposure and trip the shutter....only to expose the...what? air molecules inside the film chamber? I use film because...well, because photography is kinda a meaningless activity without film in the camera...isn't it?
    I've never met anyone who does not know that photographic sensors exist.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I've never met anyone who does not know that photographic sensors exist.
    My thought on his comment, was actually that hey maybe there's no film in the camera, because it's a wet plate
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    I regularly shoot JPEGs on d*g*t*l because it's good exposure practice. Can you imagine a film photographer saying "I don't worry about exposure because I can fix it under the enlarger"? That's exactly what RAW digital users advocate all the time. They do this because digital cameras do not promote a sense of confidence owing to the numerous layers of technical intervention - most of which are automated - that making an image requires. Chimping is the most obvious manifestation of this lack of confidence in the equipment, and pros are as guilty as amateurs.

Turn off the screen, cancel RAW, blank the histograms and learn some vital exposure skills that transfer to film.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use film mainly because I don´t have to worry if it´s going to end up raw, overcooked, jpeg or any other strange way. I suck in the kitchen...just kidding. I use film because photographing for me require huge motivation to stay up late at night or wait for the right light or find the right place or wait for the right clouds...can you imagine doing all that effort for a digital picture (whatever on earth that is)? Not even worth the thought for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    Chimping is the most obvious manifestation of this lack of confidence in the equipment, and pros are as guilty as amateurs.
    This was my mistake. I trusted the camera to do the work for me. Lesson learned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    Can you imagine a film photographer saying "I don't worry about exposure because I can fix it under the enlarger"?
    Yep.

Do it real regularly. I'm not the only one either.

Can you imagine using a box camera, a disposable, a Holga, a Rollie 35 LED without the battery, ... ?

It is easy and fun. The latitude of films like Delta 400, TMax 400 and 400 speed C-41 films is huge and allow essentially identical prints across their whole range.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm all for gadgets and technology (I work in IT), but the main problem is when we let the devices think for us - like the digital examples above. It can be difficult not to because of how they are designed, or because the ease of technology can be alluring.

For me, aperture priority is about as automatic as I want my camera to go. If I have a bad picture (and I have many), I want it to be my fault, not because the camera thinks it knows what I want.
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm
    auto focus and aperture priority (or shutter priority) is about as automatic as I get. Sometimes I even override the auto focus, and if I'm shooting infrared, well that forces me to go completely manual. As for correcting exposure post-shutter release, that happens when prints are made from my medium format box camera.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin