Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,446   Posts: 1,643,457   Online: 1056

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm quite fond of automatic flash exposure, especially if I have the ability to adjust the results.

And I like having the convenience of "program" exposure when I'm taking snapshots.

And aperture preferred auto combined with exposure compensation is good and flexible.

If automatic functions are both predictable and override-able, I think they have value.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gadgets and conveniences have their place. But they are not the end all, be all. I like the eye focus on my Canon. It can be a real asset in some situations.

It does not substitute for manual focus when the situation allows.

35mm does not make a worthy substitute for 8x10 when doing landscapes. But at a football game, or the Indy 500, it's a winner hands down.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Well we could all shoot large format with a shutterless lenses and print with sunlight.

Automating our processes is kinda like becoming dependent on electricity. I'm comfortable being dependent on electricity.
    You may be conflating tools with gadgets. The latter are solutions to a problem that may not exist, or one invented to provide the solution with an application. Cameras have a sliding scale of gadget-itis, some being more useful than others. I'd define a photographic gadget as something that takes as long or longer to complete a task than an existing method. Metering is especially prone to gadget-itis, but focus is going down a similar route. DSLRs are gadget heaven, or hell depending on your perspective.

Someone recently suggested to me, in all seriousness, that cameras should have focus bracketing.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin