Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,725   Online: 908

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The selfie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was just looking at Vivian Maier's work... she was certainly taking "selfies" before anyone ever thought of the word!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Self portraiture has been around as long as people figured out a way to see their own reflections, I'm sure.

"Selfies" though, fall into the category of things that are off-topic for APUG. I'd see a "selfie" as strictly a digital photograph, ideally produced with a smartphone, for immediate posting on a social media site on the internet.

I have a cousin who made a thing of holding his 35mm Olympus Stylus Epic at arm's length and taking photos of himself with everyone in the family sometime back in the 1980s I think, and I wouldn't call those "selfies," because we didn't have social media then.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd probably distinguish between a "selfie" and a self-portrait. Selfies generally have about as much thought in them as would be permitted for those photos to go up at Broadband speeds. Portraits generally, I would say have more thought into them.
    Selfies are also - in my experience - really bad photographs, whether from showing the person in them or generally to view at. Amongst the most hated things on FB/insta/twitter streams : Selfies/Newly married photo and the comments on them. UGH. (Not as much for the photo but the fake comments and the 'me-too' scheme of things)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Self portraiture has been around as long as people figured out a way to see their own reflections, I'm sure.

"Selfies" though, fall into the category of things that are off-topic for APUG. I'd see a "selfie" as strictly a digital photograph, ideally produced with a smartphone, for immediate posting on a social media site on the internet.

I have a cousin who made a thing of holding his 35mm Olympus Stylus Epic at arm's length and taking photos of himself with everyone in the family sometime back in the 1980s I think, and I wouldn't call those "selfies," because we didn't have social media then.
    +1.

It's more about posting the image on an internet site where your friends can see it, than the act of capturing your own image on some digital medium.

Shooter
    35mm
    Vivian Maier did a self-portrait in which half of her face was in heavy shadow, and the city was in the background, just the right amount out of focus. I think it's the best self-portrait I've ever seen.
    Certainly not to be compared to the fools holding their cell phones at arms length and making a variety of faces while they take images of themselves.
    Some people need a life.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jimrohrer View Post
    I was just looking at Vivian Maier's work... she was certainly taking "selfies" before anyone ever thought of the word!
    Anne Brigman was taking "selfies" a hundred years ago and making art (by the standards of the time) while doing it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Would the word “selfie” ever have taken off without the digital image? And does the selfie have more selfie if recorded on film?
    What language is that word?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    What language is that word?
    English... As I said it was named word of the year by the Oxford English dictionary, it doesn't get any more official than that...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

If I recall Rembrandt did a few.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin