Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,686   Online: 1143

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The selfie

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

The selfie

Would the word “selfie” ever have taken off without the digital image? And does the selfie have more selfie if recorded on film?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To show how far behind times I am, I had to Google the word to find out what it meant. I have not heard it used before, but then again, it seems like I sort of live in a cave.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not sure it would have taken off. The 'selfie' is made to put on Facebook or whatever, it often it's to say 'look how good I look'. I think narcissism is often a quick, instinctive thing, and does not suit waiting to finish the roll, sending it off to get developed etc.

I'm sure some people must have taken pictures of themselves on film looking great, waited to process the roll and then showed the prints to friends down the pub. Maybe not great enough numbers for it have been given a name though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are caves in Kansas?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    That particular word is just an example of today's society - some are obsessed with what they look like and need to show every one else to boost their own undeveloped self esteem.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    This probably came about because the Oxford English Dictionary made "selfie" the word of the year. Lol

And, I was just flipping through Annie Leibovitz' book, "Photographers Life" and there is a page of topless selfies of herself, it says "self portrait" but they are certainly in the style of a selfie, holding the camera and in the mirror shot in a bedroom, not a studio shot professional self portrait, there lies the difference.

It made me laugh, of course Annie would have a selfie... Lol
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never taken a picture of myself in my life.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    When I 1st learned photography, one of the guiding rules was to avoid including evidence of self in the image (eg, thumb on lens). But Lee Friedlander changed the rules by including some evidence of self. Cyndi Sherman expanded it to include only self in her work. Today's selfie includes the narcissism of Sherman and the evidence of being there (existence) of Friedlander. Now I suppose critics will have to invent new ArtSpeak in order to argue that the Selfie is art.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    When I 1st learned photography, one of the guiding rules was to avoid including evidence of self in the image (eg, thumb on lens). But Lee Friedlander changed the rules by including some evidence of self. Cyndi Sherman expanded it to include only self in her work. Today's selfie includes the narcissism of Sherman and the evidence of being there (existence) of Friedlander. Now I suppose critics will have to invent new ArtSpeak in order to argue that the Selfie is art.
    They have. It's pronounced "Ka-ching"
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    They have. It's pronounced "Ka-ching"
    love that !

===

there are plenty of words that existed before digital photography or "now" that have become
    famous because of "now" and "viral culture" ... i knew plenty of people who skateboarded,
    were unshaven, listened to grunge music, and other "stuff" like referred to self portraits as "selfies"
    well before 2013 ...

i thinkit is funny that someone may even think that it only has to do with digital self portraits and FB
    when they have been around since photography existed ...

myfavorite selfie ( from one of the discoverers of photography ) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...edman_1840.jpg
    im empty, good luck

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin