Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,972   Posts: 1,523,582   Online: 917

Shooter
    Medium Format

Selling Rights to photos?

Hey guys,

I wondering if you guys could give me some advice. I recently shot an assignment through my kids music and dance program and photographed a recital last week and the insructor is now wanting buy the Rights to photos to future events. Should I agree to a price to do this? Or not? if so.. what would be a fair price. I know what she will do with them. I think she will package them and the selling them for a price to the parents. I'll be left out in the cold. I know there is some working pros out there that had businesses that can give some helpful advice.

ToddB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Todd,

If you want to PM me we can talk about this. If you are making photographs of the kids, there is the potential for you to make some very nice money for your work,
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you don't want to deal with making prints and dealing with parents, etc... It's worth consideration. You could ask for a percentage of whatever she gets if you're sure she's going to be reselling them; it would be attractive to her as she doesn't have any risk that way.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I should mention too that all I offered to parents was price for large res image for a price. no prints.

Todd

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    ....I recently shot an assignment through my kids music and dance program and photographed a recital last week and the insructor is now wanting buy the Rights to photos to future events.....
    If it is a program that your kids participated in, consider making the files a "donation" to the program. Any gain the program would realize would help the program (and your kids). The good will may have more benefits than any small monetary gain.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd work something out with a fair percentage to everyone involved, make it so her success is your success, and vice versa.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin