Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,110   Online: 894

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My bride of 30 years is very supportive although she is bemused at the road I have gone down. That said, the hobby gets paid for with "other" $ generated by horsetrading at Ebay so there's no financial strain. We have a 16 foot solid white wall of black and white photos at the end of "her" family room with track lighting that she is always proud to show off. And she realizes that all of the thinking, scheming, work, and focus is a healthy end in itself. I've asked if she would rather have a husband sitting in a recliner with 4 empty beer cans next to him and she resoundingly says no. Beyond that she is not engaged in the process and does not have much interest. Her family is very conservative regarding what is and is not art. Her parents generation certainly does not consider photography as art. She'd be more pleased with a wall of color photos but ce la vie.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller
    ..... I recently purchased a photograph from George Provost of ice & water. The water is blurred due to long exposure. It is very very beautiful. I showed it to her & she just said "it's blurry". What?....
    Matt;

You need to develop (no pun) your wife's visual concepts of what good b&w photography is. I now have 9 of George's prints. Beautiful work it is and my wife loves and appreciates them all.

Don't worry, she'll get is sooner or later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier
    You need to develop (no pun) your wife's visual concepts of what good b&w photography is. I now have 9 of George's prints. Beautiful work it is and my wife loves and appreciates them all.

Don't worry, she'll get is sooner or later.
    She is slowly coming around. I've just got to be patient. I received a print exchange print from Leon yesterday. It's a great print & she loves it. There is hope for her yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My ex-wife loved my photography. It gave her one more thing to complain, shriek, yell and cry about. (I'm assuming I can't use b**** on the forum.) I think the final straw that drove her out of my life was the constant ticking of the metronome in the darkroom.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fun thread, and guess I am one fo the lucky ones. Bride of 20 plus years has always been supportive and involved to some degree. She is a much better people shooter than I am, but like most likes color better. She has her sitting room, I have my gallery room that she said we needed. Does not mind the photo trips, as long as they are to different places..does not like going to the same place.

Would not trade her for anything...besides, I think she gets a kick out of telling people - 'my husband made that'
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My husband has his cars (he's a mechanic) which he pays for and I have my photography (which I pay for).
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As long as I have pix of the kids, she likes it. As long as it doesn't take too much garage space as well. Oh, yah, she don't like all my toy cameras lying around.

How about pix of our spouses?!

Here's my significant other

http://www.yourchef.net/yourchef2.jpg

Modeling my custom made tank tops (she signed a release form I think)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We wake up in the morning and even before we're out of bed, we start discussing whether we should buy that Dallmeyer/Goerz/oddball lens on eBay, if the weather is good enough to shoot outdoors or rather indoors, who will use which camera today and if I thought the grey balance in the pic we digitized last night was good enough or do we need to rescan it.

We're in this together all the way. I suppose we're very boring people in the eyes of those who do not know about photography... my mother keeps asking me 'and what are you going to dó with all these photographs?'.

the medform-norm team

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is not a problem for me, either.

Wife has BFA, MA and MFA in art; and would rather put my photos on the wall than her paintings. (Her reasons are for a whole other forum, but that's how it stands.) :rolleyes:

As for the $, she spends the same on her toys, so it's a wash. And let's not even mention her $1000 digithing... :o OK, she does use it in producing some of her art.

Some of us are indeed lucky!

Cheers y'all.

David

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I guess I would need a spouse to get some support. The last one was very supportive but a non photographer. The next one will have to be in it as much as I am or it's a non starter.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin