Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,406   Online: 1171

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Digital (or 'automation' as the OP calls it), in its nature, sits better with the ethos of Pop Art (early postmodernism) than film does. Pop art is a movement out of which colour art photography and conceptual work as we know it was born, some people should remember. Modern art photography, as a concept made famous in the 70s, is a part of the postmodernist ideology. Postmodernists have always had a penchant for 'mass production'. So yes, in answer to the OP - as most fine art in galleries today is postmodernist, if it's automated it probably is fine art.

But here's the crux. People who really appreciate art know how slippery, inconclusive and misconceived the term 'fine art' has become (as evidenced by this thread); which is exactly why, as blansky pointed out (in the first response no less), it has found its home in marketing.
    Last edited by batwister; 12-03-2013 at 01:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My photography isn't "Fine Art" whatever camera I use, I'm happy if I can produce competent photographs.
    Ben

Not to be controversial but in my opinion if you aren't making your own cameras and lenses you are a fraud.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fine Art: Photos that sold for a very high price.
    Art: Photos that were sold that weren't from your wedding.
    Photos and Pictures: Everything else that wasn't sold that your wife has allowed you to hang on the wall.
    Snapshots: That stuff in the boxes on the top shelf in your closet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Not to be controversial but in my opinion if you aren't making your own cameras and lenses you are a fraud.
    Does that mean we don't have to make our own film/emulsions?
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    Does that mean we don't have to make our own film/emulsions?
    you have to do that or else you are a poser
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    I'm not explaining myself very well. I suppose what I mean is that if the 'galleries, museums, scholars, patrons, collectors, and artists all simply care about the final image and nothing else', does that not imply that collectors, museums etc. would place the same value on a JPEG of Gursky's 'Rhine II' as they would the original negative and print?
    You can't see a JPEG, so not exactly. If the artist provided the monitor and computer which the artist used to create the image then yes. A 'print' of this would be a second computer displaying the same image but also tweaked by the artist. In that way only would the JPEG itself have value. Once the artist produces a hard copy of the image on paper, the JPEG on the hard drive that is not connected to a monitor no longer has value.

Bret Weston famously burned a number of his negatives since the print was REALLY the art piece and no one could print his negatives like he could. This implies that in his mind the JPEG was like the negative, or vice versa. This also implies that it is ONLY the final print that has any artistic value, i.e. the processes used to create the print are immaterial. The negative, or digital capture, used to create the print are worthless.

Yet even the display of the hard copy may not be art to the artist. The height of the work, the amount of space around the work, even the lighting may render the image garbage in the eyes of the artist. Reference Rothko and his attempts to control the environment in which his paintings were displayed.

It's all subjective, perhaps collectively so, but still subjective.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    My flickr stream

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This whole damn thread is a red herring.

There is art (the content and semantics) and there is craft (paper and photons and chemicals and bits). You represent your art using a craft. You can automate a craft or change which particular strain of craft you use, but that has got nothing to do with the art that you perform using your chosen craft.

99.99% of APUG is craft; art ain't got nothing to do with what goes on in here.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post

There is art (the content and semantics) and there is craft (paper and photons and chemicals and bits). You represent your art using a craft. You can automate a craft or change which particular strain of craft you use, but that has got nothing to do with the art that you perform using your chosen craft.

Agree 100%

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post

The question can be rephrased then:

is craft a necessary component of art?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin