Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,948   Online: 771

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    "Art" is the pontification of a craft.
    "Art" is what you get your master's degree in so you can get a job at the IRS.
    Last edited by Tom1956; 12-04-2013 at 10:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After reading this thread, It reminds me that I preferred to be called a Craftsman, or a technician, than photographer or especially artist.
    Just so I don't have to argue with others, or most importantly myself.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The idea that photograph is "Art" is very recent one, certainly during the last fifty years mainly as a marketing ploy by photographers agents and galleries to help sell their work.
    A bit more that 50 years though. It started in 1905 with the Little Galleries of the Photo-Sucession, later 291 art gallery, ran by Stieglitz.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    A bit more that 50 years though. It started in 1905 with the Little Galleries of the Photo-Sucession, later 291 art gallery, ran by Stieglitz.

I guess benjiboy was referring to the mainstream museum institutions acceptance of photography as Art, more or less on equal footing with the traditional Fine Arts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe but he said the idea that photography is art. That idea is much older.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh certainly, the idea is older; probably as old as the photography itself.

But there is a hint: am not aware of any other creative group so preoccupied with the question is what are they doing art or not. This is clearly driven by a deep sense of insecurity, and possibly sense of inferiority. No need to, but it's indicative of the collective mental state.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Art,craft,yes,no........???? Jesus you all sound like a bunch of old ladies at the bingo parlor all trying to be heard at the same time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    it boils down to its whatever you want to say it is.
    and it doesn't matter whether it was made by a man or machine
    cause after all, a camera is a machine too, that the "exposure monkey" operates

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Further to Blansky’s statement that “There is no such thing as an art gallery. It's merely an empty building with stuff on the wall and on stands. The rest is just marketing”.

I think a good entry for the Turner Prize would be an empty gallery. That way any gallery on the planet could display the concept.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    what is your definition of 'fine art'?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin