Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,540   Online: 891

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Speaking of trains, I was recently hassled by a Chicago cop in the subway. No sense in arguing with a Chicago cop unless you enjoy body cavity searches.
    I was once photo'ing the subways there, and a cop started telling me I couldn't take photos. I pulled out a copy of the official CTA photo policy I printed from their website. When he continued to give me grief, I requested he call his supervisor. Supervisor came, asked me if I was using flash--no. Was I using a tripod--no. Were these commercial photos--no. Supervisor told the cop I was playing by the rules and should be left alone. Supervisor gave me his card in case I had any more trouble.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I was once photo'ing the subways there, and a cop started telling me I couldn't take photos. I pulled out a copy of the official CTA photo policy I printed from their website. When he continued to give me grief, I requested he call his supervisor. Supervisor came, asked me if I was using flash--no. Was I using a tripod--no. Were these commercial photos--no. Supervisor told the cop I was playing by the rules and should be left alone. Supervisor gave me his card in case I had any more trouble.

Kent in SD
    I believe if I was in a Chicago subway, I'd be asking myself why in the name of Pete I'd be there in the first place.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was photographing the Ambassador Bridge, (between Detroit and Windsor, Ontario, and was on the Canadian side), and after a few minutes, here came a rather bored looking guy in a car with the logo of a security company on the door.
    He got out and told me in a friendly way that I couldn't take pictures of the bridge's structure.
    For heaven's sake, I'd been at it for about 5 minutes and was finished anyway, but he didn't mention deleting the pictures I had taken. So after all this, it seems anybody can go ahead and take their photos, and then be told to go away. High security.
    One other time, a private individual started hassling me and I simply told him to call the cops. He spun on his heel and walked away.
    Last edited by hdeyong; 12-01-2013 at 01:49 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: correction

Shooter
    35mm
    Many years ago I was once detained by the army for shooting (film!) in woodland close to their base. I had no idea the installation was there, was only seventeen and they eventually let me go. However when I returned home many hours later via various friend's houses, there was a military vehicle waiting at the top of my parent's street, so they clearly took such events seriously.

Last year one chap I know was questioned for using his mobile phone at a railway station! He didn't have his reading glasses and had to peer at the keyboard and they assumed he was taking a photograph. Strange times we live in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Surfers are very territorial like that in Malibu also.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just the same in the UK at the moment with getting hassled by police and private security. We took a trip to do a night shoot of the local steelworks in south wales, Stood on a public road not causing any obstruction shooting images on a 5x4 during the night. Up comes the security from the site gives us the no photography as its a class one protected site and is illegal to photograph,and starts telling us he will have to delete our shots and giving it the terrorism laws.
    Its become a farce in the UK the rights as a photographer have become so eroded after they bought in all the anti terror laws its making industrial photography impossible

Shooter
    Multi Format

Actual CTA policy

http://www.transitchicago.com/business/photopolicy.aspx

No flash, no tripod, don't bodder nobodys.

I shoot without tripod all the time all over Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In 1977, at a Lou Reed concert at the Queen Elizabeth theatre in Vancouver.

The stage manager kept rejecting my press pass and venue credentials and kept kicking me out of the stage-side "pit".

And the road manager kept letting me back into the stage-side "pit".
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This summer I shot a large outdoor fest.

The 'pros' had the pit for 15 minutes and were shooed, I was just outside the pit, in front, much better angle too.

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    In 1977, at a Lou Reed concert at the Queen Elizabeth theatre in Vancouver.

The stage manager kept rejecting my press pass and venue credentials and kept kicking me out of the stage-side "pit".

And the road manager kept letting me back into the stage-side "pit".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Speaking of trains, I was recently hassled by a Chicago cop in the subway. No sense in arguing with a Chicago cop unless you enjoy body cavity searches.
    Technically, the CTA subway is private property, and CTA policy is not friendly to photography on their property.
    Metra actually issued a memo about photography on their platforms, which they consider to be public, just asking that you not block traffic and even suggesting some good stations for trainspotting. I don't know their policy about photography inside their trains, which are presumably private property.

Otherwise, I have never been hassled by a Chicago police officer when photographing on a public way (e.g., city sidewalk), but private security guards think they can stop me from photographing their building from public property. They don't notice that I wouldn't photograph their building from 6 feet away (i.e., on their side of the street or river).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin