Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,389   Online: 1082

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had quite a few problems and/or irritating issues but not necessarily all that strange. More along the lines of the stuff John mentioned - like the building being gone. I've actually had that happen a few times. Sometimes the lights go on when they were supposed to be off, and vice versa. Things in the picture that weren't before, etc. It comes down to the way I work. I just stalk things for too long and by the time I'm ready to make a picture something has changed or fkd it up in some way.

Of course there have been many run-ins with cops, security guards, interested people, strange people, miscellaneous 4ssholes, homeless people, and an attempted mugging here and there.

Once I had a "stand-off" with some dipsh1t trying to tag a wall across the road from where I was set up. I stayed until daylight and ruined his little activity, which was a lot of fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    Driving for an hour. Carrying a heavy tripod through the wood. Setting up the tripod at the right spot only to find that I left the base for my Cambo back home.
    Nothing much you can do without a base. Packed up and went back home.
    Perhaps more of a stupid reason than a strange one.
    Nice recumbent in your avatar, I have a Haluzak Horizon.

Almost but no cigar: I drove for an hour to get to Skyline drive and then remembered that I did not take the 4"x5" film and holders. I returned home, picked up the film and drove back to Skyline Drive.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silveror0 View Post
    Many years ago I was asked to get a group shot at a special occasion. But one woman in the group was so self-centered and had such low confidence and self-esteem that she got in the front row and sat on the floor with her back to the camera. When asked to move, she would not, and there was no other place to move the group that was adequate for the picture. We all waited a very long time for another opportunity.
    Similar - when I was doing a wedding. All of the Bride's side of the family left the Church for the VFW Hall before I could take the formal shots. Got to the VFW and they were all already in the bag. Plus, there was no good spot for a background, the ceiling was low, and the whole place was dingy. Group shots were horrible - it was easy to see who was drunk and nearly falling down. I got paid anyway. The Bride was mad at her family, not me.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was stopped by a guy at Loch Ness who claimed to own the lake and ask ed me to leave.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I was stopped by a guy at Loch Ness who claimed to own the lake and ask ed me to leave.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Backpack full of lenses, film holders, etc but left the camera at home hundreds of miles away. That has only happened once. Shooting with an empty film holder, that has happened at least twice.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, we all certainly share a common bond when it comes to making mistakes and forgetting things... Thanks for sharing. I was thinking that I've never been thwarted by a dead animal before and could only image what others have encountered. Looking forward to reading more stories.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's not strange, but forgetting to cock the shutter is a usual culprit. I take the utmost care in framing and metering and as the decisive moment approaches and passes I repeatedly press the shutter release in vain. All I can do then is imagine how awesome it would have been to have gotten that shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    recently brought my Rolleicord and a roll of film. Opened it up and realized it didn't have a take-up spool in it! Oh well...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was taking some nigh shots of sea and stars, doing long exposures. There was no moon that night, which made it an awesome opportunity. Took some shots with my film camera as well as my digital. Checking the digital, I realised I took a shot of a satellite crossing the sky. Only the path was a bit strange, not straight. Oh well, maybe it was a plane?

Anyway, packed my back and got back to my boat. See, I was on this remote small unpopulated island, about a mile away from the shore. When I was younger, I spent a lot of time on the boat with my dad around there, so I knew the area. The night did not bother me. Besides, there was a tourist resort just across the channel. I could see the lights from there and hear the music playing outside.

I'm going back and suddenly my engine dies. Crap. I'm still more than half a mile from the shore. I got paddles, but I try to fix the engine first. Good thing I have a headlamp.

What happens when you focus so much on fixing the problem is you don't notice the surroundings. I look around and suddenly everything is pitch dark. And silent. Just me, the sea, and the stars. This gets me a bit nervous. Did the current push me away from the shore? But the currents here are weak. And there's next to no wind. What's going on?

I noticed a reflection of something on the sea. Only it wasn't a reflection. The light was coming from below the sea. Divers?
    There are no boats around me. Suddenly the sea gets very wavy and the boat is rocking like crazy. Only there's still no wind. Ok, I'm starting not to like this. The engine still wouldn't start. Let's paddle away before it's too late.

I turn around to get paddles and I scream like a girl. There is freaking somebody else on the boat. My heart is pounding like I'm running a marathon. When I screamed, my headlight dropped in the sea. F-word.

I don't see her very well as it's too dark. I barely manage to ask: who are you!? But there's no reply. She's just sitting there, watching the lights under the sea. She doesn't pay attention to me at all.

I pick up the camera bag as I keep my knife there. Better safe than sorry. I seem to be in no danger though. As my eyes are getting accustomed to the dark I see she's young.... very young. Not more than 15.

Screw it, if this is happening, at least I can document it, right? I slowly take my digital to take a picture. She's still ignoring me. She's starring into the lights below the sea as if it's the only thing that matters. Crap. My digital is out of power. Thanks good I have my manual film camera with me. As I take the camera out of my bag, I hear a splash behind me. I look around, but there's nothing there. Ok, I'm nervous now.

I turn back to the girls and she's starring face to face in me. She takes the camera and punches me in the head with it.

I regained consciousness in the ER the next day. A ship found my boat 10 miles off shoe with me inside. There was nothing in the boat - no paddles, camera bag, knife, nothing. They did however found a photo of a beautiful young girl in my hands. It was her.

Nah, just kidding. That was about the strangest story I could think of. I got nothing but the usual out of batteries, forgot film and the stuff.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin