Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,667   Posts: 1,623,968   Online: 724

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm disturbed, so all my photos are disturbed?

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Disturb may not necessarily be the right word. But since we have children of our own, photographs or portrayals of children in suffering do touch me more. Knowledge of children that suffer at the hands of adults much more so. We had a case a few years ago where two illegal immigrants assaulted a one year old infant so badly during a housebreaking that she was left blind from brain injuries. I did not see pictures, but the mere knowledge of it made me physically sick. The same happened when a young family was killed during a farm attack. The daughter, 3 yrs old, was shot in the back of the head, because she knew one of the murderers, who was a worker on the farm. A month ago, two toddlers were found murdered in a public toilet, a day after their mother reported them missing. These are but a few cases in a very long list. In a country such as mine, where crime is so prevalent and violence seems to be the answer for every problem, one can become numbed from the daily gush of news reports of people that were injured, traumatised or killed. Movies and photos on the other hand seem somewhat distant by comparison.

Oh yeah, in hindsight any photograph of Amy Winehouse used to disturb my equillibrium slightly. Lately the same goes for Justin Bieber.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of the stuff by Larry Clark.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Se7en disturbed me when it first came out, but now that I know how it ends it probably wouldn't have much effect on me. Silence of the Lambs was like this.

The Deer Hunter sure made an emotional impact when I first saw it, and I've spent a lot of time thinking about it since. I suspect it would still be emotional to watch it again. Very few movies are as powerful as the Deer Hunter to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wy2l View Post
    Images of the Internal Revenue Service are difficult for me to view.
    Same here!
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The scene in "The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover" where the young boy singer is brutalized.

And a movie that I walked out on in the 1990s that to this day is the only movie I have walked out on: "Farewell My Concubine". Again, because of realistic brutality.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is the most disturbing movie I've ever seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDLnwS8JE2k

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudia Moroni View Post
    This is the most disturbing movie I've ever seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDLnwS8JE2k
    N/A in US.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    the screener for Steve McQueen's (no not that one) "12 Years a Slave" arrived in the post this week. Phenomenal! ...anyone who can sit & watch this film without being deeply moved aka "disturbed" is imho not a human being. "12 Years a Slave" should be compulsory viewing for the LAPD etc

also found "disturbing" in a different way - the original version of "The Vanishing" aka "Spoorloos" 1988, very clever cinematic story telling & not one to sleep soundly after seeing

best
    alex
    Last edited by culturesponge; 12-12-2013 at 04:48 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: an edit made it better

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The "images" I have found to be the most disturbing are the news narrations on NPR when they talk about happenings in war torn countries, or starving children, etc. For me, the mental images provided by news stories on the radio are often more vivid and disturbing than real visual images. There are times when I just have to change the station.

Dave

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin