Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,978   Posts: 1,523,690   Online: 1127

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Any photograph of a doll is disturbing to me. Just thought of that. They creep me out.
    Not a fan of Cindy Sherman then?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Not a fan of Cindy Sherman then?
    Very much not a fan.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many many years ago there was a photo essay in, I believe it was American Photo, titled "Heads You Lose". It depicted many images of beheadings including a blow by blow of a Chinese execution. I tore out those pages and threw them away. I may be a wuss but I found it quite sickening.
    I find works by Joel Peter Witkin equally sickening.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Are there any images or films that you found emotionally disturbing? I found the film "The Deer Hunter" disturbing.
    I find quite a few commercials disturbing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I find quite a few commercials disturbing.
    ...which is a very big contributing reason for me basically not watching television at all. I am tired of the pervasive nature of commerce, how it manages to penetrate just about everything that we do. That sure is disturbing. Thanks for bringing that thought, EvH.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    ...which is a very big contributing reason for me basically not watching television at all. I am tired of the pervasive nature of commerce, how it manages to penetrate just about everything that we do. That sure is disturbing. Thanks for bringing that thought, EvH.
    Thomas, we live within a consumer society, economy, and culture. Consumption is the norm. Once upon a time 'consumption' was a word used to describe tuberculosis because it literally consumed the sufferer. Immediately after Sept. 11 2001, what did our turdfondling halfwit of a president tell the American public to do? That's right, keep buying stuff. The per-capita disposal of e-waste in the U.S. in the past year was 60~ lbs.. Consumption, all right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know. It's not commerce per se that I'm opposed to. It's how pervasive it has been allowed to become.

I remember the 9/11 speech of President Dub-yah. Was an interesting time, and a sad one of course.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One of the big problems with 9/11 was there was literally no time allowed for reflection/introspection/gut-check/values check/etc. We just barreled on straight into (re)action. I was working in the Pentagon at that time - the morning of 9/11 I was riding the escalator from the Metro station into the building the moment the plane hit. The very next day, I was back to work in a building that was still on fire. No pause was taken to assess OUR own role in what happened. This is in NO WAY meant to be an excuse for/justification of 9/11. But when something this horrible/this tragic happens, you do an after-action assessment and determine what you can do to prevent it from happening again/mitigating the impact when it does. Our choice almost defines insanity - persisting in negative behaviors (moral high-handedness, cultural/commercial imperialism, duplicitous diplomacy of convenience) and expecting that adding more negative behaviors (security theater, fostering a big-brother culture of espionage and paranoia) will prevent the event from happening again. It's kind of like setting a standing appointment with the dermatologist for laser melanoma removal while maintaining your routine at the tanning salon. Skin cancer may not be what kills you, but...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    One of the big problems with 9/11 was there was literally no time allowed for reflection/introspection/gut-check/values check/etc. We just barreled on straight into (re)action. I was working in the Pentagon at that time - the morning of 9/11 I was riding the escalator from the Metro station into the building the moment the plane hit. The very next day, I was back to work in a building that was still on fire. No pause was taken to assess OUR own role in what happened. This is in NO WAY meant to be an excuse for/justification of 9/11. But when something this horrible/this tragic happens, you do an after-action assessment and determine what you can do to prevent it from happening again/mitigating the impact when it does. Our choice almost defines insanity - persisting in negative behaviors (moral high-handedness, cultural/commercial imperialism, duplicitous diplomacy of convenience) and expecting that adding more negative behaviors (security theater, fostering a big-brother culture of espionage and paranoia) will prevent the event from happening again. It's kind of like setting a standing appointment with the dermatologist for laser melanoma removal while maintaining your routine at the tanning salon. Skin cancer may not be what kills you, but...
    Well said. Some light could be cast on this reaction by exploring the histories of Rumsfeld and Cheney with a man aptly named Robert Strange McNamara.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 12-16-2013 at 03:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bad Boy Bubby is one of the most disturbing movies to date. (The Australian one, not the American 'Bad Boy Bubba').

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin