Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,290   Online: 802

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HCB in Colour

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find that rather harsh what you say about the guy jumping over the puddle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it's harder to make a color street shot than a street shot in B&W. The content can be more powerful in B&W. Color distracts the senses with aesthetics.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I think it's harder to make a color street shot than a street shot in B&W. The content can be more powerful in B&W. Color distracts the senses with aesthetics.
    Color street photography, when done right, is extremely powerful.
    One way to know when color works is to convert to B&W and see the image become mundane/garbage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Color is best when color is an integral part of the composition. If it isn't, it tends to detract.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Colour is easier on the viewer.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I don't think AA's color is bad but it doesn't have the impact his black and white does, at least for me.
    Often it seems that AA would make an image in B&W and then expose a sheet or two of color as an after-though (since he was given the film to experiment with). So many of the images in "Ansel Adams in Color" do seem if color was a side issue.

EW also did some color -- I have seen reproductions of images of shells that he did -- my first impression is that EW thought about color as a compositional element of the image a little more than AA did.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    The second link has an article in which it refers to "his colour negatives" I'd have thought that for his work as far back as 1958 it would have been colour transparencies especially of ot was done for a magazine but maybe not.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't care for H.C.B's colour work, it's just not his medium, he can't "see" in colour, it makes the work of this legendary monochrome photographer look as if if it was shot by Disney.
    Ben

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Andreas my comment might sound harsh but compare his man jumping over a puddle to Lartigue's work, Lartigue was younger used a big camera and captured jumping persons in interesting ways.

Furthermore I don't think that HCB's image bad just overhyped. The image is also one of my pet peeves as it is constantly used to show the advantages of 35mm over other formats, Lartigue's and other LF users work at that time prove that this is simply wrong you can capture movement in any format.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Just looks like what it is, run-of-the-mill commercial color shots for the era that he probably hated himself for taking in the first place, but
    probably just couldn't turn down the money. Not his medium.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin