Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,724   Online: 903

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is a little irrelevant because not many people keep their film and negatives hidden in laptop bags.

Shooter
    35mm
    Set up a VPN server on your home network and the VPN software on your laptop, but DON'T SAVE THE PASS PHRASE ON THE LAPTOP (you are using a pass phrase, not a password, right? Pass phrases are harder to crack). While you're still out of the country, connect to your home VPN and transfer the files over the internet, then delete them from your laptop. Because of the VPN, the data is encrypted and is brought into the country without getting searched at the border. This doesn't mean it's impossible to decrypt, but let's make the NSA work for it, at least!

Sorry but we shouldn't have to resort to such tactics to protect our personal information from the prying eyes of the gummint (misspelling intentional), IMHO.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    Set up a VPN server on your home network and the VPN software on your laptop, but DON'T SAVE THE PASS PHRASE ON THE LAPTOP (you are using a pass phrase, not a password, right? Pass phrases are harder to crack). While you're still out of the country, connect to your home VPN and transfer the files over the internet, then delete them from your laptop. Because of the VPN, the data is encrypted and is brought into the country without getting searched at the border. This doesn't mean it's impossible to decrypt, but let's make the NSA work for it, at least!

Sorry but we shouldn't have to resort to such tactics to protect our personal information from the prying eyes of the gummint (misspelling intentional), IMHO.
    Lum from the Joe 'em Down Store called it the givermint.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well I happened to know some of those Japanese families that were detained during WWII and it had exactly zero to with nat'l security. I was just a kid, but we'd drive down the mountain to help them pick their little orchards, once they got an opportunity to start over after the War. But there was a reason it was just the Japanese from productive farmlands that got interned - a convenient ruse to steal their productive farms
    and orchards for pennies on the dollar, by unscrupulous big corporate ag interests and their lobbyists. Take a drive over to Manzanar, if any of you haven't already done so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Drew, it wasn't only the farmers. My in-laws were mostly working stiffs and students when they went. My father-in-law was a gardener with a Berkeley Chemistry degree, his dad a Methodist minister. My mother-in-law was a student at Univ of Washington and her dad a construction worker, her mom a nurse. War hysteria served to make the net real big.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    But it was distinctly a West Coast thing targeted primarily at Calif Central Valley and the Hood River Valley along the Columbia. Some spillover
    was inevitable, but the motive seems pretty obvious. Yes, part of the "war effort" was to stir up selective ethnic hatred using widely publicized stereotypes, but the economic rewards for doing so do seem to point a particular direction. By comparison, properties of people of German descent were never seized, nor were they interred, though a degree of abuse was inevitable. Our Calif history is one of epic ag and
    water wars, and this seems to factor into it. Ironically, the Chinese and Filippinos got widespread acceptance in this country for the first time due to the same War. Previously, they were the ones being vilified. I suspect there a quite a few historic ideas capable of revision. I simply have to go over to the Golden Gate area and note the dates on the big gun bunkers pointing toward the Pacific, which tells me our military was paranoid about a Japanese war long before Pearl Harbor (and which are, incidentally, wonderfully photogenic).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought there was some Italian and German interment, though in much smaller numbers.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    truzi,
    there were italians on an island in boston harbour, im sure there were pther places too ...

it stinks that they were detained, and had their land taken, it could have been worse
    humans have a long history of treating other humans badly in time of war ( or peace )
    at least the civilians weren' t marched around a desert / death valley to a made up location
    until they died, or ask all the males of "xyz" ethnic group to dig their own graves and firing squad them ..
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There were lots of German farmers, but in places where they often constituted the majority and not a susceptible minority, and an acre of
    Calif orchard land was far more valuable than an acre of wheat out on the plains. In fact, the Central Valley was on the verge of becoming the
    most productive farmland on earth; and associated with this general fact were events which have inspired not only numerous famous movies, but the works of Steinbeck, and wonderful modern documentaries like those of Ken Burns. I was really surprised to see about ten seconds of
    old black and white footage of my dad inspecting a canal in a recent documentary about Calif. water wars - he was a key inspector during the construction of the Central Valley project, which was completed around the time I was born. Most of us are familiar of AA's documentary shots at Manzanar (even though he completely misidentified the background peak in his most famous picture of all there). The dusty ruins
    here and there are in themselves reminders of the lust for water. I photographed a ghost trailer park nearby not long ago, analogously with
    dead trees silhouetted against the great eastern Sierra uplift.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Evidently the judge doesnt have any constitutionally based understanding. He dases his decision on the lowest expectations ... he has been around politician's too long.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin