Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,931   Posts: 1,522,190   Online: 1118

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There were certainly wrongs done then, and wrongs committed today, under the auspices of war. None of what has happened, and will likely happen in the future, is in any way excusable. But it is probably a bit more useful to compare how other countries have handled these types of issues as opposed to the US. Are we perfect? Heck no! Fortunately we can still complain about it and take legal steps to try and continue to improve things.

I feel it is very unlikely that any one of us fully understand all the nuances in this story, no less the legal issues involved, from this one small news clip. None the less we should keep in mind that there are still appeal options open in this situation.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    From what I've read, this isn't an isolated case. Apparently, the DHS has determined that within 100 miles of an international border, your rights are abridged. After an extensive review by their own emplyees/agents, it was determined constitutional, although no court ever reviewed the findings of the department's own lawyers. BTW, this includes pretty much the entire states of Florida, Hawaii, and several smaller states. Even the ACLU challenged it!

Check out https://www.aclu.org/technology-and-...tion-free-zone or http://www.storyleak.com/dhs-constit...free-zones-us/
    Last edited by kintatsu; 01-10-2014 at 12:07 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Corrected Entity and Grammar

Shooter
    Large Format
    If the ACLU challenged it, it was for an agenda--to further the existence of the ACLU, which is just another lunatic-fringe group, fighting for the same tiresome cause of "diversity and equity", which is an elusive, esoteric cause that grows quite tiresome. The Constitution doesn't need activist judges, money-grubbing barristers, and malcontent clients tearing it apart in a tug of war to "interpret" what it says.
    For corn's sake.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    If the ACLU challenged it, it was for an agenda--to further the existence of the ACLU, which is just another lunatic-fringe group, fighting for the same tiresome cause of "diversity and equity", which is an elusive, esoteric cause that grows quite tiresome. The Constitution doesn't need activist judges, money-grubbing barristers, and malcontent clients tearing it apart in a tug of war to "interpret" what it says.
    For corn's sake.
    You're right about it all. As much as I hate to admit this, though, this seems to be the one case the ACLU seems to have gotten it right.

Given that the largest percentage of our population lives in these zones, it's quite scary.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks, but even a blind squirrel manages to gather a few nuts. But I suppose the reason I even followed this thread was because of the mention of Big Sis early on. Yeah, we have to watch out for little old ladies and girl scouts coming in from Canada, while the other border leaks EBT recipients like a sieve. Or was that the Dec. of Ind. that said something about "they send their swarms hitherto, to eat out our substance"?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Or was that the Dec. of Ind. that said something about "they send their swarms hitherto, to eat out our substance"?
    Cool quote, but sadly, all too true. My opinion about this whole border thing sounds a little "conspiracy theoristy."

By suspending the constitutional rights of a large percentage of our population, they can create a "box" for those they can't control. It creates a buffer around those who hold more traditional views on the Constitution and our essential liberties, perhaps a way to squeeze them into compliance, or at least acceptance. Demographics show that the largest percentage of those not of the controllable persuasion, are in the center of the country. By controllable persuasion, I mean, of course, the moochers and looters who either feed upon our labors, or use them to buy the votes that secure their power.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    But it was distinctly a West Coast thing targeted primarily at Calif Central Valley and the Hood River Valley along the Columbia. Some spillover
    was inevitable, but the motive seems pretty obvious.
    It was all over the state. People from all sorts of professions and from urban as well as rural areas were disenfranchised. People lost homes and all types of businesses. And yes, as you point out, all that they had was in effect stolen from them.

Not to say that greedy interests did not manipulate for their own gain.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    ... By comparison, properties of people of German descent were never seized, nor were they interred, though a degree of abuse was inevitable.
    That's not true. German and Italian Americans went through similar experiences. The Germans in BOTH wars. The father of one of my mother's friends was detained during the war because he was a German American, even though he was Jewish.

There are lots of records if you even do a cursory Google search.

The difference was that being of European descent, it was harder to distinguish between them, and many had changed their names at Ellis Island. The Japanese were more visibly identifiable and had actually attacked our installations. The many Japanese interred were not just farmer's. Many were shopkeepers and other city folks. Even mixed Asian ethnicities were included if they had any Japanese.

It was not big business who was behind it, either. It was widespread paranoia that primarily led to it, although the white farmers did support it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin