Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,900   Online: 1155

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Looking at something like a Jackson Pollock, it's easy to think that it's so simple to do. But try it - it's easy to do it, but not nearly as easy to do it well.
    I prefer the nude Farrah Fawcett covered in paint flopping around on a large canvas.

Now THAT is talent.

Makes Pollock stuff look like a kid mid-tantrum throwing food on the wall.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since modern art is about 100 years old now, technology didn't have much to do w/ it. You can give someone all the technology in the world, but if they don't have a unique vision and talent, along with discipline and drive, it isn't going to help them. Anyone that thinks that "anyone can do it" doesn't know very much, but that's OK. That's how most people are. Asleep at the wheel. Anyone can copy an original, existing idea.

There's the critics, and then there's the people who create the works. Nothing has changed since cave art. I'm sure some Cro Magnum guy groused "Hmph, he thinks he's something. Why, anyone could do that". Talk is cheap. Artists talk w/ their works, not their mouths.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    some Cro Magnum guy
    I see what you did there.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    You know, last night I was standing outside looking up at the stars and the light bulb went off. It's not that the sun and stars travel around the Earth. It's that the Earth spins around itself giving us an illusion of these objects crossing the sky, rising and setting. How simple. I'm embarrassed I hadn't thought of it sooner.
    Makes one think about what other parts of reality are hidden by our language. George Carlin was good at point a lot of those out to us. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1MSI592s64
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    ..or even down the hall to Abuse.
    ...or just to keep it local, Abuse is in the Lounge. (and banging the head is in the Soap Box)
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Have, have, have!

Steve.
    Or at least 've, 've, 've!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sintchak (rich815) View Post
    I Could Have Done That ...
    It was an honest-to-goodness-made-a-career-of-it artist (painter), who set me straight.

We were in a museum, looking at Peit Mondrian. And (so help me) I said exactly that: "I could have done that!"

She wheeled around, looked me square in the eye and said: "Yes. But you didn't!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Or at least 've, 've, 've!
    - a, -a. -a

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Neil Peart of Rush speaks of wearing very light shoes when drumming because it allows him the ease of lifting his feet very fast and effortlessly , who'd of thunk...
    Long live Neil!

Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    It was an honest-to-goodness-made-a-career-of-it artist (painter), who set me straight.

We were in a museum, looking at Peit Mondrian. And (so help me) I said exactly that: "I could have done that!"

She wheeled around, looked me square in the eye and said: "Yes. But you didn't!"
    Which brings us to access.

Even if you had done it, you may not have had access to exposure or distribution so anyone would have seen it.

A great deal of life is about access, connections, luck or fate.

A great article I once read by Fran Liebowitz (sp?) was a rant about access. It was along the lines of actors/actresses who have famous parents, and their stating that YES, they got their foot in the door because of their parents, BUT it was their talent that got them hired regularly in their TV series.

And Liebowitz's claim, that the foot in the door is actually the only hard part. The actual acting 90 percent of the population could do it.

Remember she wasn't talking about great actors, but about the shlock acting that is regularly regurgitated on TV.

I wish I could find the article again.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin