Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,397   Online: 1124

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I Could Have Done That

From The Browser:

I Could Have Done That
    Julian Baggini | Independent | 7th January 2014

A common criticism of much modern art is that "anybody could do that" — which is increasingly true. Technology has made the resources of professional photographers and composers available to amateurs. Abstract visual art favours painters skilled in relatively simple forms. Conceptual art is often made by other hands. Art still demands a creative imagination, but technical skills are no longer such a barrier. Full article here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...d-9042501.html
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    could of , would of , should of,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79981

The Jpeg attached is something I am working on, simple setup, simple lighting, simple concept.

But , the big difference is that it is part of an ongoing Series of Solarizations that I have been doing for over 10 years now , by using film and solarizing in the darkroom, then inverting the file and then making four colour plates to then intaglio prints.

Yes some one can mimic the image in PS and inkjet, but it would not be the same, or have the provenance.
    I am sure that out in the great world of imagery there is a guitar that looks like this one, I just have not seen it and by the time I am finished with it the physicality of it will not be the same.

I was initially inspired by Man Ray , Ed Buffaloe, Wynn Bullock for all the work I do.

www.patersoncarnie.com has examples of my early and some of the more recent.
    today it is the guitars, tommorow childrens bicycles , and next month contrived studio landscapes.

I think it is really hard for photographers to come up with something that is unique to themselves, if they find it they should continue working on it.

I am always amazed when I hear people state they are going to strap on their camera and go looking for photographs. For me its always imagined in my head before I ever consider picking up a camera. Which btw for me is the least enjoyable part of the process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails electric 5 front a.jpg  

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    hi rich

i think everything is like 20/20 hindsight, isn't it ?
    things always seem so easy but in reality they aren't as easy as they seem.

i think the article was kind of funny ... and in a way inspiring that it is possible to do something
    and pull it off but in the end, (its like bob says), its all about provenance ...

while i think that technology makes things seem easier, it actually makes things harder ...
    even arcane technology
    like pre panchromatic emulsions.
    it seems so easy it looks so easy, but its not ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi rich

i think everything is like 20/20 hindsight, isn't it ?
    things always seem so easy but in reality they aren't as easy as they seem.

i think the article was kind of funny ... and in a way inspiring that it is possible to do something
    and pull it off but in the end, (its like bob says), its all about provenance ...

while i think that technology makes things seem easier, it actually makes things harder ...
    even arcane technology
    like pre panchromatic emulsions.
    it seems so easy it looks so easy, but its not ..
    I'd agree with that. Back in the early 80's I was avidly pursuing rock drumming for a short while. It was just when the electronic drum machines were gaining mainstream popularity (Think: Phil Collins, In The Air Tonight) and the attitude was similar to this article: well, now anyone can be a drummer. Proved it was not as simple or easy as people thought. Just a new tool that allowed a bit more accessibility to some of the more complicated aspects but still left a lot more to use it well.
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Shooter
    35mm

Oh, yeah?

Let's see some of your photographs of the Beatles or Elvis, Ali decking his opponent in Madison Square Garden, James Stewart backstage on Broadway during his run as "Harvey,." You did not do that. I did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    Let's see some of your photographs of the Beatles or Elvis, Ali decking his opponent in Madison Square Garden, James Stewart backstage on Broadway during his run as "Harvey,." You did not do that. I did.
    But I could have! If I was there with my new Cannon D10000 and new 24-800 f/1.2 IF ELD EF II-D lens! :-)
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Neil Peart of Rush speaks of wearing very light shoes when drumming because it allows him the ease of lifting his feet very fast and effortlessly , who'd of thunk...
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sintchak (rich815) View Post
    I'd agree with that. Back in the early 80's I was avidly pursuing rock drumming for a short while. It was just when the electronic drum machines were gaining mainstream popularity (Think: Phil Collins, In The Air Tonight) and the attitude was similar to this article: well, now anyone can be a drummer. Proved it was not as simple or easy as people thought. Just a new tool that allowed a bit more accessibility to some of the more complicated aspects but still left a lot more to use it well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Neil Peart of Rush speaks of wearing very light shoes when drumming because it allows him the ease of lifting his feet very fast and effortlessly , who'd of thunk...
    I worship Neil Peart.
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    could of , would of , should of,
    That pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter...

Shooter
    Multi Format

A common criticism of much modern art is that "anybody could do that" — which is increasingly true.
    It isn't increasingly true, or, if it is, I'm not sure what evidence you could adduce to support the assertion that it is.

Abstract visual art favours painters skilled in relatively simple forms.
    Unfortunately, simply not true.
    The idea that abstract painters simply slosh a few lines or shapes onto a canvas without any technical skill is ... simplistic, shall we say.
    A straightforward if hackneyed counter-example is Rothko, of course, but there are dozens if not hundreds of others, some well-known, some not.

One good way of ridding oneself of these sorts of ideas is to sit down and talk to some of the artists practicing abstraction.

as so often, mr. nanian is much more on the right lines here.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin