Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,335   Online: 1078

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Some photographers feel they are entitled. Its unfortunate that regulations like these have to be put in place to control them and protect the rights of others but since you can't punch the inconsiderate ones it seems a necessary evil.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is it to protect others or refrain the photographers from molesting others or is it just because there is a commercial interest in the location and by that a chance for the municipality for an additional fee?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The small town where I live has had a similar ordinance since I moved here in 1992. I've never gotten a permit and no one has ever asked me for one. I know that the pros in town use a few of the parks for sittings and I believe they have paid the fees but again I doubt if anyone has checked. (They have a similar license requirement for folks who want to use a metal detector in any city park. I've seen lots of folks detecting but never anyone checking for permits.)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it makes better sense to charge and get a permit for it. That wayy you get any residential associations or busybodies out of the way and not interrupting your work.

Sent from Tap-a-talk

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We are speaking of public places. Obtaining a permit for commercial photography does not changes the statute of the place or make it private. Everybody including "residential associations or busybodies" may still walk along. And that is fine.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We are speaking of public places. Obtaining a permit for commercial photography does not changes the statute of the place or make it private. Everybody including "residential associations or busybodies" may still walk along. And that is fine.

Though photographers may be tempted to say "I paid my fee, so get out of my picture."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may be correct legally, but where I live a permit gives God-like privileges and even more so when armed security and law enforcement are enforcing those privileges.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can see why permits might be required of pros who are bringing lights, generators, assistants and all the rest, but it seems a little over the top for one guy and a family getting a portrait or some such.

In the case of the OP, I read about this in some other forum, and the ordinance deems a photographer a "professional" if he is using a tripod, or a camera with interchangeable lenses, among other things.
    So, if you're going to make a photo in one of Overland Park's city parks with anything other than a P&S or a Holga, congratulations, you are a pro.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No professional photographer I watched over the last years still used a tripod when doing wedding or model photography on location.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is a good fact to know. I think I should cite that if challenged but I hope I can keep a straight face as I say "only a amateur would need a tripod to hold this big camera with the large interchangeable telephoto lenses whilst metering with this very complicated light meter because my camera is so old it doesn't have a built-in light meter... so that makes me the most rank amateur there is. Now leave me alone, please."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin