Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,794   Online: 677

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So does this make analog photography more of a journey than the destination? About instant gratification killing joy, it may apply for love making too
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I haven't been to Muir Woods in over twenty years, but can often be spotted in summer months on the ocean side of Mt Tam, with my 8x10
    propped up somewhere. More often than not, I just like looking at the opalescent image on the groundglass, and will not even actually take the shot. The hunt is just as important as the kill. But I try not to wait too long to process a batch of film or else I'll just get too far behind with my various darkroom chores.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Analog photogaph is a such a joy!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    So does this make analog photography more of a journey than the destination?
    Yes!
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I developed a couple of rolls that based on the contents I determined I had taken close to 20 years earlier. About 10 years ago I sat two films (one had been removed from the camera mid roll, the other I think was fully used) to the side and are waiting to develop them. I was planning on doing it once I'd forgot what was on them. One I can remember, but the other I can't remember, so it must be time to soup it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a destination?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the journey can be important, for sure, but also feel that it's individual. I very much dislike developing film, for example, but love to print. In the end, though, it's all about the print, and that, to me, is the destination. So to me both the journey and the destination are important.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ode to the latent image!

All jokes aside, I do feel like some sort of alchemist in the darkroom. I know the image is there, and it's up to me to coax it out. After I get it out, I can control it (push/pull, purposeful reticulation, &c.) and be its master. Huzzah! And, we repeat the chore again when printing!
    "The photographer who does not enjoy printing probably never made a good print in his life. Half the fun of photography is found in the printing room..." - Kip Ross

I spent 4 hours wandering Muir Woods in California Sunday and shot 4 rolls of film. They're sitting at home waiting to be processed when I have time this weekend. I'm feeling the joy of the latent image. I'm anticipating the fun I'll have processing the film, printing it on fiber based paper. It's all so therapeutic.

How many of you feel that when they've shot some film, but can't process it immediately? Digital photographers are deprived aren't they? Instant gratification kills that joy.
    As I've stated before, I don't feel the two processes are that much different in how I approach it.

I don't feel any differently with digital than I did with film in the "waiting/anticipation" regard, simply because the image in the camera of a digital camera although readily available to view is just the beginning. The same as a negative and contact sheet. Besides when you OTR in digital and shoot raw you don't get a great looking chimp anyways.

Christmas morning for me when you start to get to work in the printing for analog and the manipulation in the computer for digital to realize what you were trying to achieve when you shot it.

If you shoot and merely print digital I can see where people don't get it. The analogy of the two is not hand printing VS digital printing, it's hand printing in analog vs manipulation in the computer for digital. This is where the two use the artistic side of the brain. The actual printing in digital is quite superfluous if you have your system set up correctly.
    Last edited by blansky; 01-22-2014 at 11:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Digital cameras sure do skip better across a pond, so indeed do have a relevant application.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin