Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,399   Online: 801
      
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3789101112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 149
  1. #121

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,150
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    ... but the popularity of solid, even primitive SLR cameras has not restricted the creative vision of newcomers, and probably never did. ...
    Nor has the increase in camera automation restricted the creative vision of either newcomers or old-tymers, and probably never will.

  2. #122

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    northern england
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Nor has the increase in camera automation restricted the creative vision of either newcomers or old-tymers, and probably never will.
    You may, or may not be missing my point. If you can do everything you need to do with a simple, well made manual camera, what was the last twenty years of camera 'innovation' except a huge marketing exercise? Leica users (of whom I'm not a member) always insisted it was all a side show to the business of making pictures.

  3. #123
    Chris Lange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    764
    Images
    33
    If you can write a novel with a typewriter, or a pen, why bother with a laptop?

    Oh dear...
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

    or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

  4. #124

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    northern england
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    If you can write a novel with a typewriter, or a pen, why bother with a laptop?

    Oh dear...
    Yup, however did Shakespeare manage without a word processor and a spell check? Actually, quite a few successful modern novelists write with a pen and paper. Are they mad?

  5. #125
    cliveh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,439
    Images
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    If you can write a novel with a typewriter, or a pen, why bother with a laptop?

    Oh dear...
    The analogy of writing a novel using a laptop is quite a good one. Just like camera automation it may change the speed at which you complete the task and the volume of the outcome, but makes no difference to the creative input.

    “The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

    Francis Bacon

  6. #126

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    northern england
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    The analogy of writing a novel using a laptop is quite a good one. Just like camera automation it may change the speed at which you complete the task and the volume of the outcome, but makes no difference to the creative input.
    The association you make between creative writing and speed is most revealing.

  7. #127
    cliveh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,439
    Images
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    The association you make between creative writing and speed is most revealing.
    I am not making an association between creative writing and speed, but a laptop and speed.

    “The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

    Francis Bacon

  8. #128

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,150
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    You may, or may not be missing my point. If you can do everything you need to do with a simple, well made manual camera, what was the last twenty years of camera 'innovation' except a huge marketing exercise? Leica users (of whom I'm not a member) always insisted it was all a side show to the business of making pictures.
    I don't think I am missing your point. I think you are being narrow-minded and not accepting the fact that the last 20 years (more, actually) of camera innovation is much more than a huge marketing exercise. Sure, you and others have no need for such innovation but that does not make it either evil or useless or market manipulation.

  9. #129

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    northern england
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I don't think I am missing your point. I think you are being narrow-minded and not accepting the fact that the last 20 years (more, actually) of camera innovation is much more than a huge marketing exercise. Sure, you and others have no need for such innovation but that does not make it either evil or useless or market manipulation.
    I don't believe it is evil, I think it's irrelevant to the business of making interesting photographs. I own such 'seminal' SLRs as the Canon T90 and other technical marvels, and while they have great historical novelty value and are capable of taking fine photos, they don't take 'better' photographs than my full manual Nikon F, Canon FTb, Zeiss Ikons, OM1, etc. The term straw man is a ridiculously overused term of internet abuse, but it's hard to see my appraisal of camera developments as evil in any other way. Marketing, spin and hype, I'd definitely concur with.

  10. #130
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,918
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    You may, or may not be missing my point. If you can do everything you need to do with a simple, well made manual camera, what was the last twenty years of camera 'innovation' except a huge marketing exercise? Leica users (of whom I'm not a member) always insisted it was all a side show to the business of making pictures.
    Camera manufacturers, like all consumer products marketers have to convince that that this years all singing, all dancing product is better than the last years, and make them so dissatisfied with what they have they want to replace it with the new one. Digital photography pulled off the greatest marketing coup of all time by re-inventing the wheel and selling millions of cameras all around the World to people who had perfect good ones already.
    Ben



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin