Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,458   Online: 1074

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Blockend correct metering can be done with an AF and a fully manual camera that's what an AE Lock is there for. In both cases manual and Auto the user is the problem not the camera correctly used both can create superb results. And the fastest focussing is done with a fix focus camera
    Good example MDR. Is AE lock quicker than metering a scene? It's arguable, depends on the conditions. AE lock is certainly useful, probably essential, if the controls that allowed you to meter manually are tucked away somewhere. Put the aperture and shutter speed in dedicated dials and manual metering and override is no problem and as instant as anything you'll find on a camera. Then there was the great disappearing aperture ring ruse. That was a consumer benefit how exactly?

AF is another good example. AF lenses allowed you to focus manually to keep curmudgeons and nay-sayers happy (or anyone else who tired of their AF hunting between the lens hood and Saturn), but instead of a nice helicoid and grip you got a vestigial ring of plastic on a shaky mount that was next to unusable. That's not an option, it's a premature invitation to a brave new world of under-developed technology for beta testers with conspicuous consumption. All IMHO, as ever.

There were high points of course, spot metering among them. To use spot metering you need at least a passing acquaintance with the zone system. Without any knowledge spot metering is a receipe for badly exposed images. Metering became more reliable generally in the 80s, moving away from CdS cells but few serious photographers relied unquestioningly on their meters, and most brought into play a lot of experience. Weather sealing was also useful, but tended to be available on professional cameras with pro price tags, etc, etc. Most of the era was dumbing down and novelty so far as 35mm SLRs go.
    Last edited by blockend; 02-04-2014 at 07:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm quite fond of the eye controlled focus/exposure feature on a couple of my Canon film cameras.

The feature has some problems, as it doesn't work for everyone, but I think that it is an example of a technological addition that has real value for some - both experienced photographers and casual shooters.

It isn't necessary, but it is attractive and useful for many people. Just as the brilliant viewfinder in my Olympus OM cameras is attractive and useful - especially when paired with the right lenses.

blockend is right in that some of the extra features on some cameras are implemented in ways that are less than ideal. But when the implementation is done well .....
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    Benjiboy made an excellent point and you've flagged up another straw man. He and I have both worked in camera sales (me many years ago) so are able to tell facts from fancy.

I once knew a camera salesman who could wax lyrical about the latest thing and sell fridges to Eskimos. What camera did he use? The same Nikon rangefinder he used for ever.
    I've known many camera sales people who knew every technical detail of every high- tech camera on the market who knew nothing about taking pictures, whose work was like amateur snaps, all their knowledge was theoretical, gleaned from camera specifications on sales brochures, they were like car salesman who couldn't drive .
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That describes every camera shop employee I have ever met... except the ones who knew nothing at all. I suppose if they were good photographers they wouldn't be working in a camera shop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I resemble that (or I would have when I did sell cameras) !)
    Some camera salespeople tograph for the joy of it, and sell cameras for the pay cheque. There is nothing necessarily inconsistent with that.
    EDIT: the smiley face didn't come out in my initial post, so I'll add it here

and "photograph" rather than "tograph"
    Last edited by MattKing; 02-04-2014 at 05:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hear ya, Matt. I did not mean that to be a slur against an entire population... just making a comment. But in hindsight I see hwo someone may take offense. I'm sure that you, Ben and blockend are fine photographers.

... and for me... I suppose there is a reason why I am neither a professional photographer nor a camera salesman.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree that camera salesmen are not synonymous with great photography, although there are exceptions. B&H put some excellent tutorials on video, including aesthetics and history as well as gear, and their guys seem to know their stuff. My time was at head office, not customer facing, to use the current euphemism, and mercifully brief. I was then, as now, cynical about rampant consumerism with regards to photography, and even then trading down to meterless 1960s cameras while everyone was going auto. A square peg, even thirty years ago.

I do recall one chap who ran his own shop and dedicated nearly all his spare time to photography, and he was very talented and extremely knowledgeable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    That describes every camera shop employee I have ever met... except the ones who knew nothing at all. I suppose if they were good photographers they wouldn't be working in a camera shop.
    My remarks don't apply to everyone that I have worked with in camera stores, and I don't agree with the mistaken logic of your assertion that "if people were good photographers they would't work in camera shops" erroneous,I have known many committed and excellent photographers who didn't want to do it for a living and needed the security of a regular job because they had wives and children, like many members of this site.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-04-2014 at 08:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure, Ben, as I said, I wrote with too broad of a brush.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin