Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,272   Online: 953

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Sean just contacted me and told me I'd used up my word allotment and was costing him too much money.

Good luck with your photography guys.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    So this is powerful shit we're doing here. We are the people who stop time. We photograph places that no longer exist and we also photograph people who no longer exist. We create memories, we record history, we catch the infectious smile of a three year old and the majesty of mother nature.
    Yes, yes, yes. I agree so much with this. To me the job of the photographer is to make documents of things that feel important to them, and then do what they can to convey that in the best possible way.
    We do that in so many different ways that it's becoming almost difficult to keep track of it all.
    Color print film, scanned and worked digitally, printed inkjet.
    Color print film, enlarged optically on RA4 paper.
    Color slide film, scanned and worked digitally.
    Color slide film, projected.
    Digital color capture, worked digitally, printed inkjet.
    Digital color capture, b&w converted, printed inkjet.
    b&w film, scanned and worked digitally, printed inkjet
    b&w film, enlarged optically on silver gelatin paper (don't forget about toners, different papers)
    b&w film, enlarged optically as lith print on silver gelatin paper
    b&w film, enlarged optically on surfaces with liquid emulsion
    b&w film, enlarged, bleached back, and made bromoil prints out of
    Digital negatives from all of the above to make:
    - platinum and/or palladium prints
    - kalitypes
    - cyanotypes
    - salt prints
    - albumen prints
    - copper or polymer photogravure, etc

Today the possibilities are almost endless, and while this forum is geared toward the use of film and preferably darkroom, the end result is largely the same - a print that somebody will hopefully cherish for a lifetime, or something a printer took a lot of pleasure or had a great emotional ride making. Do it well and the importance of the medium simply disappears and becomes just an intermediary step to set forth our vision.

I'm very glad that so many others want film to carry on and thrive. Many of us film users feel a bit bombarded in this increasingly digital and connected world, and it's easy to get defensive.

So, I will try to continue to do what I always do - speak well of film and tell people how much joy it gives me, not bash digital, and hopefully help a few more photographers make informed decisions about how they want to work with their art.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    <snip snip snip snip snip ho hum snip snip snip>

Dear sweet God, finally, he arrives at the bloody point! No it isn't senseless, one thing threatens to obliterate the other and despite your childish tantrums about it going back years they are not the same thing. They are equals but they are not equivalents. You've gone over to one side, and fling back attacks and feeble platitudes about how you are really one of us still on this side because (you've convinced yourself) there are no sides. Talk about tripe.
    I think you may need more fibre in your diet!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean just contacted me and told me I'd used up my word allotment and was costing him too much money.

I hope not!!!

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format

I hope I am misreading this post, People like Blansky and Bob Carnie even if they are "misguided" are necessary for this forum to thrive, without opposition and some injections of painful truths (for the analogue world) this forum would get seriously boring and wither away.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Thank you

It has been painful to see some very talented people leave this site, Jorge in his day was something to witness, Sandy King is the most giving individual I have ever met, we certainly miss both here on APUG, but that I guess is the nature of the beast.

I am hoping for the day that Sean hits his head on some wood and changes his mind about the digital neg making aspect, as frankly this is the next generation of wet printmaking, but I will still hang out and hope for that day.
    I think we all would be surprised how many people with real printmaking skills would come back to this site or actually visit and stay.

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    I hope I am misreading this post, People like Blansky and Bob Carnie even if they are "misguided" are necessary for this forum to thrive, without opposition and some injections of painful truths (for the analogue world) this forum would get seriously boring and wither away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My take on the issue is the same as Bob's. Once upon a time, the recommendation from NZ Central was to go to hybridphoto. That site no longer exists. It seems that making it dpug has "successfully" completed its transition to almost exclusively digital. Here is a response (accurate) to a posting on dpug I made recently.

me: "I still think of the site as hybridphoto and wish it hadn't changed identity, but hopefully the original mission is still here (??)."

pschwartz: "Only 10 postings in the Hand Coated Wet Prints forum for all of 2013. Unless you want to join the endless discussions about scanning and digital negatives, there is not much here that bears directly on printmaking. The opportunity exists, but I guess printmakers are reluctant to post when they know their activities are of of only passing interest to the majority."

The barrier against even saying the word 'digital' has been thoroughly shattered here, so please, can't we now start talking about digital negatives and all their analog pairing potentials?
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Duuuddeee now were talking

Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    My take on the issue is the same as Bob's. Once upon a time, the recommendation from NZ Central was to go to hybridphoto. That site no longer exists. It seems that making it dpug has "successfully" completed its transition to almost exclusively digital. Here is a response (accurate) to a posting on dpug I made recently.

me: "I still think of the site as hybridphoto and wish it hadn't changed identity, but hopefully the original mission is still here (??)."

pschwartz: "Only 10 postings in the Hand Coated Wet Prints forum for all of 2013. Unless you want to join the endless discussions about scanning and digital negatives, there is not much here that bears directly on printmaking. The opportunity exists, but I guess printmakers are reluctant to post when they know their activities are of of only passing interest to the majority."

The barrier against even saying the word 'digital' has been thoroughly shattered here, so please, can't we now start talking about digital negatives and all their analog pairing potentials?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    I think you may need more fibre in your diet!
    We've already seen the kind of flatulence that can cause.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it's funny that APUG is anti hybrid as the vast majority of Apug members shooting color film are already hybrid users. The machines at wall mart costco and even at your local pro lab first scan the neg = digitalize and use the scan data and not the analogue neg to produce a print on photopaper that was optimized for a digital not analogue workflow. Most new Kodak films including the B/W were optimized for a hybrid workflow.

That beeing said APUG should concentrate on analogue photography but maybe it would be acceptable to create a hybrid workflow subforum. This would help to generate new memberships and keep people like Bob Carnie, Denise Ross and others that have so much to offer to Apug in the fold.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin