Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,784   Posts: 1,671,381   Online: 1097

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    It's not just advertising, it is heart-felt narrative, kind of like when someone passes your name onto someone with heart felt enthusiasm, it advertised you, but from a real place...
    You have a right to your opinion, so does everyone else...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    You have a right to your opinion, so does everyone else...
    Yeah, what ever Shawn...

I work using film, know some of the people in the video, mentor young people in my area, are working with the city of Aspen to find space to set up my three other enlargers and get people in the darkroom to enjoy it. Besides taking care of business, I promote the use of film every single day so we can all continue to use it.......do you?

Because this nonsense about bashing a positive video about film use is the domain of those who are not thinking about the bigger picture...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm wondering what else is supposed to happen in a forum besides tech battles. Art battles? Or everyone patting eachother on the back for a mediochre job well done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IAnd no, you don't *have* to respond in a certain way, but as a successful photographer who has gone nearly entirely back to film, I can say with certainty that it is often a net-negative result in terms of threads like these when it comes to commentary that newcomers to film would encounter here.

I asked the woman I showed in this photo if she is a member of APUG. She responded that she is familiar with the site but finds it is tainted with far too many tech-battles and negative talk for her to spend much time dealing with.

That's on you guys, so maybe stop crapping on your own party and perhaps more people will show up...
    So no one should disagree on anything for fear of upsetting newcomers? I believe the tone should be kept civil (unlike yours in this thread) but there are many different ways of doing things in the world of analog photography and art in general, most of them are valid and much can be learned though differences in opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I'm wondering what else is supposed to happen in a forum besides tech battles. Art battles? Or everyone patting eachother on the back for a mediochre job well done.
    I think her point was that there is good info here in terms of tech resources, but when it degenerates into a battle of egos over practicality, that drove her away. This is not unique to APUG, it happens on a lot of photo sites, you get good info about 1-3 pages in and then by page 10 it can be total waste of time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, what ever Shawn...

I work using film, know some of the people in the video, mentor young people in my area, are working with the city of Aspen to find space to set up my three other enlargers and get people in the darkroom to enjoy it. Besides taking care of business, I promote the use of film every single day so we can all continue to use it.......do you?

Because this nonsense about bashing a positive video about film use is the domain of those who are not thinking about the bigger picture...
    I say you and everyone else has a right to their opinion and you say "what ever"...

Am I or anyone else required to do any of the things you mentioned? I doubt you know much about me, what I do or whom I help. Your anger seems unfounded and don't wish to fight with you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    So no one should disagree on anything for fear of upsetting newcomers? I believe the tone should be kept civil (unlike yours in this thread) but there are many different ways of doing things in the world of analog photography and art in general, most of them are valid and much can be learned though differences in opinion.

I say you and everyone else has a right to their opinion and you say "what ever"...

Am I or anyone else required to do any of the things you mentioned? I doubt you know much about me, what I do or whom I help. Your anger seems unfounded and don't wish to fight with you.
    My beef is not really with anyone but Blanksy on this thread.

The guy has obviously gone digital awhile ago for his portrait work but for some reason, he hangs out and takes a nice big fly ridden steamer on anything that pits film against digital. For Pete's sake Shawn, I must have double the professional digital experience as him and I just don't get it, the need for him to OD on digital laxatives every time one of these threads pops up.

I think I post these responses more for people like Claire to read when she comes here rather than to convince the ever present squadron of "B-Negatives" overhead....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I'd like to see more art battles. Get on it, all y'all.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, the shocks on my truck are done, gotta bail for awhile again, this is just too much for me, a downer...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I agree with Dan that the best way to promote film is to try to be positive about its use.

For the last four years I've had to print in a darkroom that is about 45*F in the winter, just because I have nowhere else to set up. I've relied on a hot water jacket, and when it's acceptable temperature in the darkroom, in the summer time, I typically don't want to be indoors in a darkroom. I've tried to produce work from there, and it's been challenging, but kept at it and kept myself from getting too rusty. Yesterday I plugged in a 40" long heater tray made for keeping food hot, and I was able to place three 12x16" trays side by side, which kept the chemistry at a snug and comfy 70*F instead, and I found that true joy of the craft again, a joy that has been missing for years now.

It reminded me just how exciting darkroom printing is, where the process comes full circle. Photo paper was designed to work with negatives and the tone curves of both fit together like hand in glove. To see the results of all the decisions I made and instinctive reactions I had in the field, photographing, from exposure to film processing, to agitation, and to printing, and finally to toning, is remarkable every time, and when it comes together it's such a beautiful thing.
    I hope that more people in the future have the opportunity to at least experience what us darkroom workers do, so that the decision of what they choose as their medium is based on something they tried for themselves, and not the feedback they get from learning from others. I really believe it's a process that must be physically experienced to be fully appreciated.
    That's where a positive spin on darkroom and film work comes in handy, to attract those users that are curious.

I also agree that we all have a right to our opinions, but also that sometimes those opinions are not useful, even if we ourselves opine that it's good information. I guess I'd like to promote a balance between information that is useful from a standpoint of knowledge, and information that is useful to our subculture of film/darkroom photography as a whole.
    I know I've been stuck in peeing contests more than once, and I almost always regret it, because it doesn't help the state of film photography, but rather detracts. Personal pride gets in the way.

For what it's worth, I think the video was OK. Hopefully Kodak, Indie Photo Labs, and the photographers have some benefit from it.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin