Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,276   Online: 822

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe that people (young and old) first scour the internet for some basic information and than the group splits in those that get 99% percent of their info from the net (includes Google Books) and those that get a second opinion off the net. The easier and faster people get the information they are looking for the more likely it is that they will return and this is valid for both groups. APUG is very good at providing a good overview of all things analogue photographic but if you want precise information it's not always the best place no forum is. If people start to growl which is often the case if some unsuspecting Person asks about Hybrid processes than it's less likely that the person will return and recommend APUG.

To quote pdeeh:
    "I believe it should matter to all of us whether APUG is seen as a welcoming, interesting place where much can be learned, rather than an ill-tempered haunt of angry middle-aged men who don't want their cosy corner disturbed by noisy kids." though I would ad noisy elders as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    I clicked on the link to TMax 400 film underneath the video, thinking I might learn a little more about it and I did! It took me straight to Amazon where the stuff is being sold at prices we can only dream of in the U.K.

Here's a promise to all my fellow U.K. APUGers. If I can get TMax in the U.K. even close to the Amazon U.S. price I promise to wear a hat similar to the first photographer when I am taking pictures.

Is that a rash promise. Well, yes it is. The wife might have me "committed" even if the grand-kids were to enjoy the sight

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    But the video in question is propaganda and nonsense and that was my gripe. If you think it helps sell film, fine. If you think it helps get new people into film photography, fine.

I think it's tripe and does no favors to anybody except Kodak maybe. As I said 10 posts ago, almost all the reasons they supposedly shot/went back to film, were typical adolescent film vs digital foolishness. And almost none held water.
    Thanks for responding but I guess you ought to put me in that propaganda, adolescent tripe bucket, I share some of the same feelings as these folks and would have had similar wording. Like I said, I know three of the people in the film personally and they are speaking from their heart, not a script in exchange for a brick of Portra, they want to speak up because they want to use film for years to come.

I just find it really discouraging and sad that after all these years of waiting for some form of promotion from Kodak for film, we get a really cool one with some nice images and background and it gets shot down.

I said it before and I will say it again, it is a start in the right direction, if anyone thinks they can do better, make it happen, we can never have too much promotion for film...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1
    we can never have too much promotion for film

Just out of curiosity is the video being promoted outside of Apug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    I've been a member here for a long time, and a subscriber for most of that time. I seem to recall that APUG used to think of itself (ourselves) as being the first and last destination for analog information. Sound and trustworthy information. What do you suppose has changed? Could it possibly be a tone and attitude that sorts away the people interested in giving and receiving sound and trustworthy advice?
    I first noticed a drop in morale when we lost a few more films in quick succession. Kodachrome, HIE, TP, some Fuji stocks. Then all Kodak E6, Efke dropped off the roster and it became one big wake.

Kodak bashing became vogue and I found that to be really troubling on a site that should collectively know better, understand things like "Writing on the Wall" and "Supply and Demand". And the trouble is bashing brings out the bashers and it can snowball real quick...as bad as APUG can be, Photo.net is pretty much dead to me, what a horrible arrangement of the same people parroting the same stuff and how ugly it can get.

You can say all you want, defend people's rights to an opinion all you want but the bottom line is that this site more than any other one has the best chance of keeping film in a positive light in terms of a forum community.

I still think we get good info here, I have started some recent topics in the promotion section that had great replies. But it's this kind of "Jerry Springer" thread that builds up tons of posts in a short time and does not put the community's best foot forward.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I still think we get good info here, I have started some recent topics in the promotion section that had great replies. But it's this kind of "Jerry Springer" thread that builds up tons of posts in a short time and does not put the community's best foot forward.
    I guess I'll bite one more time...

Are you saying that if someone doesn't like the video in question they should not be able to voice their opinion about it? Forgive me if you are not but that's how I've interpreted your words.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    pdeeh: Fair enough. We'll have to disagree on the "internet". .
    I don't think we're disagreeing: I'm saying that I believe it is now largely the first port of call for information, but I'm not making any claims that it thereby is a better or superior source.

But it is interesting how the norm for finding out stuff has gone from "go to a library and look it up" to "go to an internet forum and ask someone else to tell me the answer" ... but I think I'm probably just parrotting my very own old-fart attitudes and beliefs now. Sigh. Time for bed.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    PKM-25 Kodak especially that unamed miscreant at the helm of the company made it easy to bash Kodak after all the miscreant at the top of EK was very good at bashing and badmouthing the film division himself. I also agree with you the tone has changed a lot since the troubles at Kodak started. A lot of peope felt betrayed by Kodak's decision to kill some films despite the fact that without those kills Kodak would have been history.

As a final word long life KODAK EASTMAN (ALARIS) and film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    I guess I'll bite one more time...

Are you saying that if someone doesn't like the video in question they should not be able to voice their opinion about it? Forgive me if you are not but that's how I've interpreted your words.
    I'm saying that I get energized by sharing my passion and my images with people in the real world and then get the wind knocked out of me when I come on here and read a thread like this.

The film is not perfect but I feel proud and all good inside when I see it...

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan you feel proud and good inside but as you stated you know some of the guys in the movie, the critics of the movie don't so they see it with different maybe even cynical eyes. Everybody on APUG loves Film the vast majority on this site loves Kodak but we all love it for personal and often very different reasons and those reasons don't necessarily coincide with the reasons stated in the film. I am also sure that people expected something different (that includes me).

Is it good that something is done to promote film sure 100%, can more be done sure 100%, should more be done sure 100%
    Is this movie a good beginning sure. So don't feel deflated we're all on the same side

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin