Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,445   Posts: 1,643,392   Online: 735

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the video, but I can see where it might be off-putting for some.

At least some of the reasons cited by the photographers seemed to be a bit of a reach - but I can see why just saying "I like it" wouldn't cut it for the video.

I'll definitely agree with Dan (PKM-25) though - the enthusiasm and passion is important, and the video does communicate it well.

But Dan - you need to calm down about us grumpy curmudgeons here who have a different approach to supporting film!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    But Dan - you need to calm down about us grumpy curmudgeons here who have a different approach to supporting film!
    I know, I just take it all personal, the day I don't will be when I am fertilizer.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I'm saying that I get energized by sharing my passion and my images with people in the real world and then get the wind knocked out of me when I come on here and read a thread like this.

The film is not perfect but I feel proud and all good inside when I see it...
    I understand that and respect your opinion. I and some others feel differently. I think that you should try not to take it so personally. God knows we all don't like the same photographs, music and on and on...

Lots of people in the real world and online don't like my work but I don't let that discourage me from making more. You can't put something out into the world, like art, music or even the video in question, and not expect people to have mixed feelings about it... nor should that stop you from putting it out there in the first place.

I believe that as long as a discussion about such things is sincere and not egregiously articulated it is in and of itself a positive and an opportunity to learn or at least better understand another point of view.

As with all things internet, context is an issue.

APUG, which I have been privileged to have been a member for a while is a niche area of photography as a whole, but the majority of people here feel this is their tribe and they are: number one, worried about it's future, number two, feel over whelmed by digital and by adolescent type digital photographers who "don't get it", and number three, even find their own members slowly become more "digitized".

So they are a bit fragile and probably rightly so.

But here is my context.

I don't see photography as digital, analog, large format, small format, art, craft or any other subspecies of the mothership. To me, it's all photography. And that is what I do. 365 days a year, for 38 years. It's what I do, what I think, and what I live and breath. It's my profession and it's my hobby. Every day I talk to other photographers. We discuss business, trends, styles and ideas. I attend seminars, workshops, and conventions. Over half my home is devoted strictly to photography. My wife says she lives in a house filled with strangers on the walls. I'm absolutely immersed in it in all aspect of my life, and it's taken many forms. I've reinvented myself in it a number of times.

Some here lately have called me an interloper. "What are you doing here, you aren't analog?" "You're just a shit disturber who's gone digital" And that is true.

But the reason is simple. It's a photography site. And a good one. To me photography is photography. Different tools, different methods, but when all is said and done, it's capturing an image, or taking a picture and printing it for someone to see and respond to.

I've seen crappy snapshots by grandmothers that would put Ansel Adams to shame with the power and emotional content of the image. I've also seen environmental pictures that have the power to make you cry. And I've seen some of the most incredible printing methods that produce results that are absolutely soulless. I've seen people emotional by a Sears portrait. I've seen pictures that can pull you out of depression, or put you in a depression. I've seen pictures that exude such joy that you are overwhelmed. I've had people come to me to get a print of a son I photographed a couple of years earlier, who just died in a car accident. I've photographed wedding couples that broke up during the honeymoon, and one that broke up the night before the wedding. I've photographed people for their obituary photograph. I've photographed hundreds of children who are now all grown up with their own children. I've photographed families that have disbanded.

So this is powerful shit we're doing here. We are the people who stop time. We photograph places that no longer exist and we also photograph people who no longer exist. We create memories, we record history, we catch the infectious smile of a three year old and the majesty of mother nature. And seriously, we're sitting around sniping at people who use a different camera, or a different method of printing. We hold a miraculous instrument in our hands, an honest to god time machine and we're bitching about process.

I get that lots of people here like this as a hobby. Enjoy the solitude and the mixing of the elixirs. Love the process and the magic of it all. The craft of it all. The history of it all. I get all that. But you are only a part of the whole. A small part. And the whole is photography. The whole is the stopping of the clock for a portion of a second and collecting that incredible light and that perfect form. Because if you didn't do it, it would be gone forever. And everything on the film or on that sensor no longer exists.

So when someone strikes out at one part of the whole for the benefit of another part, it is senseless. It's two guys in a marathon stopping and blocking the road arguing which running shoes are better.

And if you say, that's what I did dissing this video. You'd be wrong. I just called out the bullshit.
    Last edited by blansky; 01-29-2014 at 07:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I followed this BBS for a long time before signing up. All the bickering didn't keep my from joining APUG. Then again, I'm no stranger to BBSes. I'd not worry about the arguments, people searching for information are likely finding threads related to their specific search queries.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post

So when someone strikes out at one part of the whole for the benefit of another part, it is senseless.
    <snip snip snip snip snip ho hum snip snip snip>

Dear sweet God, finally, he arrives at the bloody point! No it isn't senseless, one thing threatens to obliterate the other and despite your childish tantrums about it going back years they are not the same thing. They are equals but they are not equivalents. You've gone over to one side, and fling back attacks and feeble platitudes about how you are really one of us still on this side because (you've convinced yourself) there are no sides. Talk about tripe.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    I don't think we're disagreeing: I'm saying that I believe it is now largely the first port of call for information, but I'm not making any claims that it thereby is a better or superior source.

But it is interesting how the norm for finding out stuff has gone from "go to a library and look it up" to "go to an internet forum and ask someone else to tell me the answer" ... but I think I'm probably just parrotting my very own old-fart attitudes and beliefs now. Sigh. Time for bed.
    Don't worry about it. I'm not saying it's necessarily all about books vs internet either. There's plenty of bad information in plenty of photography books! Books or internet, you have to find the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    <snip snip snip snip snip ho hum snip snip snip>

Dear sweet God, finally, he arrives at the bloody point! No it isn't senseless, one thing threatens to obliterate the other and despite your childish tantrums about it going back years they are not the same thing. They are equals but they are not equivalents. You've gone over to one side, and fling back attacks and feeble platitudes about how you are really one of us still on this side because (you've convinced yourself) there are no sides. Talk about tripe.
    Tantrums?

Gone over to one side and fling back attacks?

One of us?

Wow. I'm guessing your darkroom is in some sort of bunker.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Some here lately have called me an interloper. "What are you doing here, you aren't analog?" "You're just a shit disturber who's gone digital" And that is true.

I have been here now 10 years like you have, You have always been a bit of the above, I remember the great tantrum of 2007, that was classic. I was surprised at how tall you were when we met. Your lecture at the APUG conference was considered on of the highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post

I have been here now 10 years like you have, You have always been a bit of the above, I remember the great tantrum of 2007, that was classic. I was surprised at how tall you were when we met. Your lecture at the APUG conference was considered on of the highlights.
    Thanks Bob, you're such a bullshitter.
    Last edited by blansky; 01-30-2014 at 10:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin