Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,033   Online: 999

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Thomas, "blown highlights" FYI, the term is valid and is meaningful (unless you can think of an alternative that describes what is happening with equal accuracy?). It has been in use along with "clipped highs" since the late 1980s to describe spectral areas of e.g. water which have exceeded the dynamic range of the medium; it applies equally to analogue and digital, with analogue (B&W and/or colour transparency, especially) occuring less abrubtly than digital where dynamic range is insufficient for the subject. A lot of digi cameras have extensible dynamic range. Film does not so we have to meter scenes where there is the possibility of spectrals getting out of order with care. Same thing with shadows. And no, this metering is not done by incident which is less implicit in very contrasty scenes.

Capture applies to digital. I have berated a number of photographers who ask me, knowing full well I've been out with analogue equipment, "did you capture anything nice?"

Bokeh, swirly or not, is just bullshit — enough to make me spew in my latté. I cannot believe over on photo.net how "photographers" get their knickers knotted battling away with bokeh in their exclusive little club.
    People have been saying capture in relation to photography long before digital came along. As in "captured on film for the first time". Can't argue that it's current usage may be found annoying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's just terminology, Thomas. And widely used. It has been used in Ilfochrome Classic print production (incidentally, other terms used at my Ilfochrome lab over the years were "in the margin" and "on the margin"), RA-4, B&W... hybridised processing, the lot. It's not going to change because you disagree.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's just terminology, Thomas. And widely used. It has been used in Ilfochrome Classic print production (incidentally, other terms used at my Ilfochrome lab over the years were "in the margin" and "on the margin"), RA-4, B&W... hybridised processing, the lot. It's not going to change because you disagree.
    I know. But the OP asked what terms I didn't like, and there you have it. Plus, you asked me for an alternative that better describes highlights that are so dense that they cannot be shone through. Blocked up? Come on! It's perfect.

For photography to make sense to me I use whatever damned words I please. So there.

And, what's not to like about disagreeing, as long as it can be civil. Perhaps it will even spawn new ideas.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I know. But the OP asked what terms I didn't like, and there you have it. Plus, you asked me for an alternative that better describes highlights that are so dense that they cannot be shone through. Blocked up? Come on! It's perfect.

For photography to make sense to me I use whatever damned words I please. So there.

And, what's not to like about disagreeing, as long as it can be civil. Perhaps it will even spawn new ideas.

Agreed.
    My go-kart has just gone off to the detailers . Uncle Reg has been given the instruction to get rid of the swirly bokeh on the bonnet and roof.

There was a long pause, and he looked at me.

"Right. Out with the swirls... the swirly...?"

"Yep, polish it out."

"Got that. What's that other word?"

"Reg...you really don't want to know."

And now I have to take Pentaximus for a walk. 'scuse me. Photography time.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agreed.
    My go-kart has just gone off to the detailers . Uncle Reg has been given the instruction to get rid of the swirly bokeh on the bonnet and roof.

There was a long pause, and he looked at me.

"Right. Out with the swirls... the swirly...?"

"Yep, polish it out."

"Got that. What's that other word?"

"Reg...you really don't want to know."

And now I have to take Pentaximus for a walk. 'scuse me. Photography time.

Excellent.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Anyone care to make a meaningful sentence using all the hate words from this thread??
    The end result of using the Rollie prime lens with the movements engaged was to produce blocked swirly bokeh with blown highlights captured on film for the first time on the silver gelatine print by the author of the snaps.

I WIN! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN! I WIN!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Snaps
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    The phrase that I could do without goes something like this " (Insert camera name here) does (enter location here).

" Fuji GW690III does Paris"

Pardon any typos, I can't spell and I'm using my phone.

Shooter
    35mm
    For the "Words I hate" category, how about "The Big Bang." Really, scientists couldn't think of a better name for what is supposed to be the largest explosion in history?? Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes has a way better name that some abbreviate as the HSK: The Horrendous Space Kablooie. Doesn't that sounds so much more impressive than "The Big Bang" which I seriously doubt happened anyway.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, it was a very little bang... but then space expanded... never mind, lol.
    Truzi

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin